Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,477   Online: 1083

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A plea for information about Harry Olds Grant

I received this yesterday:
    Dear Sirs,
    I m teaching photography in Rangoon / Myanmar.
    Very interested in Ohio photographer Harry Grant Olds from Ohio / USA ,that did most of his
    artworks in South America and considered one of best one between 1900 and 1930.
    Seems all his works lost?? Maybe you have any info about him??Out OF Google, he s named and his photos are in many books of that period edited in UK ,USA, Argentina,etc., but not availables for us.
    Interested as his early photography showed aristocracy and richness as well lower classes and poverty on
    extraordinary photos masterpieces as you surely know : this situation happens in today s my country 120 years after.
    Hope receiving good news from you and thanks in advance.
    Noga Khan
    Photographic Professor and Anthropologist
    If anyone can shed any light on the work of this photographer, I will happily give you Professor Khan's email and you can get straight to him, or you can send me any information that might be helpful. I have only been able to find this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You might have to use the "Translate" function to read this.

According to this, his name was Harry Grant Olds and he was originally from the Sandusky, Ohio area. This is a brief article and not overly detailed. But knowing his original hometown and the few details stated here might provide a starting point in searching for more information.

For example, you might contact libraries in and around Sandusky or the public records of the city of Sandusky and surrounding areas. The Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics in Columbus might provide help as well (good at finding old birth cirtificates, death records, and so forth).

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Grant_Olds

http://www.odh.ohio.gov/healthstats/...smainpage.aspx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Ian. The original question is from a man in Myanmar. Sandusky is a bit of a stretch for him, but I can probably track some more bio details down. He wants mostly to hear about the photographer's (yes, Grant Olds, not Olds Grant...I get my mords wixed up at times) thought behind the pictures, I think. It seems he is focusing on Olds' images of poverty and wealth. The site I linked to in the original post gave most of the life facts. He lived and worked, for the most part, in Argentina.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Wiki entry mentions a book published in 1917 containing several of his prints. Aperture recently published "Latin American Photobooks"; but it only goes back to 1920s. I don't have a copy of it, but its author could be contacted to see if he's aware of any info.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin