Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,460   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    A life time a tools wrapped up in one sale for a pittance. Didn't even have someone to pass it on to in the family to continue printing, or an apprentice to keep it going. I wonder about my darkroom in the future.
    Smithsonian has already contacted me about mine. The display will pose the question "how can someone with so much produce so little?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 131802 View Post
    Not only do they call the RF an SLR, they list it in the section for TLRs.

Sigh.

Shooter
    Multi Format

David Vestal - RIP

Sad to see of his death. I have a rather ragged copy of The Craft of Photography. I must admit that my BW work would be A LOT better if I "took the course." I wonder if a retrospective might be in the offing or if his photos have been too dispersed to be brought together for such. BTW, here's a nice remembrance: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...rful-life.html

For those of you who don't have The Craft, watch for it. It is a worthy book which belongs on any BW photographer's bookshelf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Not only do they call the RF an SLR, they list it in the section for TLRs.

Sigh.
    And they call the SP Nikon's first professional camera. Blech!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And what's with calling it an Fx?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    And what's with calling it an Fx?
    IIRC Fx is actually printed on the top near the shutter speed dial.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Makes me sad somehow.
    Me too.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^

Me three.

I was saddened to hear of his passing. I read all his articles and learnt a lot from him. I also own 4 of his prints. Very simple, straight forward prints. Just like him and how he worked. It's sad to see his stuff ending up on the auction site, and probably will go for peanuts. What about prints that he left behind? It's my understanding that he had quite a few on hand.
    I am reminded of a friend of mine (considerably older than me, retired Latin teacher) who was a well known railroad photographer here in Canada. He had some amazing images that I had the good fortune to print for him over a 5 year period. Many of which he shot in China just before it converted to diesel about 10 years ago. He died suddenly a few years ago of a brain hemorrhage. His half brother came in (millionaire), binned all his prints and thousands of valuable negatives. I have no idea what happened to all his gear (he shot with a Pentax 67), and when I asked him, he refused to answer. But just like that, he was gone. No trace of him. Sad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I was saddened to hear of his passing. I read all his articles and learnt a lot from him. I also own 4 of his prints. Very simple, straight forward prints. Just like him and how he worked. It's sad to see his stuff ending up on the auction site, and probably will go for peanuts. What about prints that he left behind? It's my understanding that he had quite a few on hand.
    I am reminded of a friend of mine (considerably older than me, retired Latin teacher) who was a well known railroad photographer here in Canada. He had some amazing images that I had the good fortune to print for him over a 5 year period. Many of which he shot in China just before it converted to diesel about 10 years ago. He died suddenly a few years ago of a brain hemorrhage. His half brother came in (millionaire), binned all his prints and thousands of valuable negatives. I have no idea what happened to all his gear (he shot with a Pentax 67), and when I asked him, he refused to answer. But just like that, he was gone. No trace of him. Sad.
    That's heartbreaking. It speaks to a lack of respect, a lack of understanding anyone else's values or worth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin