Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,837   Online: 724

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    That's heartbreaking. It speaks to a lack of respect, a lack of understanding anyone else's values or worth.
    Yes, but we don't know the family situation, and there might have been a lot more to it.

I think these things happen far more than we think. As hobbyists pass away, they leave a lifetime's accumulation that may be priceless to them but that prove hard to value and then sell. Their heirs are often grieving, and almost always know very little about the deceased's collections. I knew someone who was a prominent collector in a number of hobbies that aren't as popular any more, including film camera collecting. His widow hired someone to sell much of it for her on eBay. But she had a hard time finding libraries and organizations to accept the books and magazines she wanted to donate. She spent months on that effort, and some of it was futile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David Vestal will be missed, but I don't find the auction to be all that sad.

It looks to me like readily available, good quality equipment that has been heavily used. It doesn't look to be rare or hard to find equipment. I think its value was much more in the operator, not the equipment.

It would be nice if someone could continue the work that David did, but the equipment he used most likely was the least important part of that work.

I would rather hope that it goes to someone who is closer to being a beginner, who would have a chance to create their own photographs with it.

That would be a fitting tribute to Mr. Vestal.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format

David Vestal's darkroom for sale on ebay

What's sad to me isn't the auction as such but the miss-description of the gear, that equipment that belonged to him would be sold without knowledge of what each piece even is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    David Vestal will be missed, but I don't find the auction to be all that sad.

It looks to me like readily available, good quality equipment that has been heavily used. It doesn't look to be rare or hard to find equipment. I think its value was much more in the operator, not the equipment.

It would be nice if someone could continue the work that David did, but the equipment he used most likely was the least important part of that work.

I would rather hope that it goes to someone who is closer to being a beginner, who would have a chance to create their own photographs with it.

That would be a fitting tribute to Mr. Vestal.
    I like that. This is the selling of the well used tools of a craftsman. Hopefully the new owner will take the time to learn something of the previous owner and become inspired to excel their own efforts. And even in the legacy is lost in the transaction, the market is such that these will end up in the hands of someone that wants to use them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    David Vestal was a great writer and teacher. I wish I had met him.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I was saddened to hear of his passing. I read all his articles and learnt a lot from him. I also own 4 of his prints. Very simple, straight forward prints. Just like him and how he worked. It's sad to see his stuff ending up on the auction site, and probably will go for peanuts. What about prints that he left behind? It's my understanding that he had quite a few on hand.
    I am reminded of a friend of mine (considerably older than me, retired Latin teacher) who was a well known railroad photographer here in Canada. He had some amazing images that I had the good fortune to print for him over a 5 year period. Many of which he shot in China just before it converted to diesel about 10 years ago. He died suddenly a few years ago of a brain hemorrhage. His half brother came in (millionaire), binned all his prints and thousands of valuable negatives. I have no idea what happened to all his gear (he shot with a Pentax 67), and when I asked him, he refused to answer. But just like that, he was gone. No trace of him. Sad.
    Very sad about your friend. I find it hard to understand why a relative would commit such cultural vandalism. Jealousy? Certainly he could have afforded to preserve the prints and negatives, or offer them to a museum. What a putz!

I'm sure you are familiar with the RR photography of O Winston Link; if not you have a real treat in store. His subject was the end of the age of steam, just on the cusp of the diesel revolution. He, with the permission and assistance of the Norfolk and Western RR, shot incredible, often rather surreal, BW photos in IIRC 8 x 10 format with multiple flash. Just incredible. He had the misfortune to "hook up" with a truly evil woman who was engaged in bankrupting him and no regard for the pictures. Fortunately he was rescued, but I don't recall the circumstances.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, he was a putz! Multi-millionaire putz. I found out that one of his friends rescued as many of his model trains (he had an impressive setup in his garage!) and sent them off to the railroad museum in Revelstoke, BC. Thank God for that! He was held in high regard by Canadian Pacific Railroad where many of his prints hang on execs walls (some that I printed heh heh). He was even asked to supervise the painting of several heritage cars and engines as only he knew the proper colours. He was a special guy. Had some great stories.
    Yes, I know of O Winston Link from a documentary I saw years back. Amazing stuff! My favourite image is Hotshot Eastbound.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    A life time a tools wrapped up in one sale for a pittance. Didn't even have someone to pass it on to in the family to continue printing, or an apprentice to keep it going. I wonder about my darkroom in the future.
    Given what I suspect to be the median age of APUGers, turn the clock forward by 20 years and I wonder about APUG's future as well.

pentaxuser

Each of us is a sunset.Briefly fascinating,then faded away,to be replaced by someone else.Some among us are memorable,but eventually give way to the stars of twilight.memento mori.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin