Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,239   Posts: 1,680,027   Online: 943

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

David Vestal's darkroom for sale on ebay

I wasn't sure where to post this and don't mind if it gets moved, but I know a lot of people here would want to know about it.
    It would appear that David Vestal's family is selling his darkroom on ebay. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darkroom-Con...098bc#viTabs_0

I have no involvement in this and if I lived nearby, might have bought it myself.

If you buy it and there happens to be any of the correspondence between Vestal and myself, I would appreciate knowing about it.

David Kachel

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the book "The Craft of Photography", page 68, a number of items match up fairly accurately with the photographs. The shelf and shelf supports, the enlarger model, the tray storage under the sink, the sink itself, stains where the bottles were stored, etc. Even the easel appears to be the same.

Here's another . . . the scale pictured on ebay also appears to be the same scale in his book, page 238.
    Last edited by DannL.; 02-12-2014 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If this is his complete darkroom it is pretty modest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Modest indeed. He definitely wasn't participating in a darkroom hardware race. Not what I would have expected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Goes to prove how knowledge and skill goes a very long way.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A life time a tools wrapped up in one sale for a pittance. Didn't even have someone to pass it on to in the family to continue printing, or an apprentice to keep it going. I wonder about my darkroom in the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    If this is his complete darkroom it is pretty modest.
    looks pretty much like mine, only more organized. What do you need? An enlarger, trays, paper, safelights.

OK, I have four enlargers because I do different formats and my Focomat is better than sex. But other than that...this guy has the same as what I do, pretty much.

The price breaks your heart, especially with all that paper, but that's what i see whole darkrooms go for here in utah too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Last edited by 131802; 02-12-2014 at 10:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Makes me sad somehow.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't know he died. I'm a big fan of his, loved his books and purchased 4 of his prints through a DCCT print offer many years ago. A great mind and a brilliant writer on the subject of photography. A huge loss!
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin