Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,207   Online: 1241

Shooter
    35mm RF

Prof. W.L. JOLLY died on January 10, 2014

Dear fellow photographers,

came across the sad news today, here: http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/wil...ry-uc-berkeley: Prof. William Lee JOLLY died on January 10, 2014 at the age of 86. I'm sure, his unique 1997 book "Solarization Demystified" was and remains an inspiration to many of us - and shall keep him in the best of our memories.

We offer our sincerest condolences to his family and all who were close to him!

The book:
    Unfortunately, the former link to the online book (and other significant publications) is outdated. Google did not provide any good result - but the sad news above.
    Does anybody have a (good) pdf-version which could be permanently made available on Apug?

Pitt
    Last edited by PittP; 02-13-2014 at 11:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This is sad news.

I owe all my solarization work to his notes and I will continue making these types of prints following his amazing advice and methods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PittP View Post

The book:
    Unfortunately, the former link to the online book (and other significant publications) is outdated. Google did not provide any good result - but the sad news above.
    Does anybody have a (good) pdf-version which could be permanently made available on Apug?

The article disappeared from his Berkeley pages long since, but is available on the Wayback Machine here http://web.archive.org/web/200612061...y.edu/~wljeme/

I have all of it saved locally, but I'd wonder how it stands as far as copyright is concerned: copyright doesn't die with the creator.
    It's easy enough to make a PDF but making it available as a download might be seen as publishing copyrighted material.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In UK copyright expires 70 years after death of creator so a link to wayback is all you should use...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    pdeeh,
    thank you for the link: Helped a lot - all illustrations had diappeared from my own, old soft copy. On WM, however, some illustrations are apparently missing - a tribute to time and degradation?
    Cheers
    Pitt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I took a course in inorganic synthesis it was his book that we used. He was a man of many interests. Along with solarization he was interested in chemical clock reactions some of which were very impressive.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin