Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,043   Posts: 1,610,733   Online: 877

Shooter
    35mm

Excellent BBC program on WWI soldier-photographers

For those fortunate enough to have access to BBC iPlayer TV, there is a superb documentary on the soldier-photographers of WWI. These were the original and perhaps greatest war photographers ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...en-photographs

Only domestic UK internet users have the legal and technical authorization to access the television programs of iPlayer, though radio programs are free to all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjfthomas View Post
    For those fortunate enough to have access to BBC iPlayer TV, there is a superb documentary on the soldier-photographers of WWI. These were the original and perhaps greatest war photographers ever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...en-photographs

Only domestic UK internet users have the legal and technical authorization to access the television programs of iPlayer, though radio programs are free to all.
    How do you know it's excellent, how did you get to see it in Canada without being a BBC TV licence holder then ?
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-15-2014 at 11:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

cheeky

BBC, an arm of Her Majesty's gov'ment, I assume, is still punishing us cheeky Colonials. Can't view this thing over here. Sounds interesting, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    BBC, an arm of Her Majesty's gov'ment, I assume, is still punishing us cheeky Colonials. Can't view this thing over here. Sounds interesting, though.
    It's partly funded by the government, and partly by public subscription in the form of an annual licence fee. I think these days the British are more the "colonials ".
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Certainly worth a look for all those with access to BBC iplayer. There's something there for photographers, historians and those with an interest in the human story.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a VPN (virtual private network) that allows me to link to a computer network in London or Southhampton, so as far as the BBC network is concerned I'm in the UK. I just watched the first couple of minutes of the program, so technically it's not a problem. I used to do the same think when living in Southwest Asia and watching HBOGO. It's all legal, and works well if you network is reasonably fast.

For those who are curious, the VPN I am using is software-based (so no hardware to buy) and costs about $35/year.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Really excellent and quite moving documentary. Recommended for anyone who can watch it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything to tell about that "story of soldiers' photography" that goes beyond the film description of the BBC, for those unable to see?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Anything to tell about that "story of soldiers' photography" that goes beyond the film description of the BBC, for those unable to see?
    Would like to write a very long and detailed review of it but haven't got the time. Here's one in the Daily Mirror. Interestingly, the film showed a front page from the Mirror published in 1914 with a remarkable half page photo of a line up of German and British soldiers together taken during the famous Christmas Day truce. it was pointed out that such photos led to the ban of personal cameras on the British side and the appointment of official sanctioned photographers.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-li...-whose-3224063

Another one with a clip / trailer;
    http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ct...en-photographs
    Last edited by Mike Crawford; 03-16-2014 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin