Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,719   Online: 807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is truly a wonderful medium.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm

Watch out

"The realism of the 1950s." Well, I was there and the 1950s was, for the most part, cloud-coo-coo-land. "Father Knows Best" and "Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet." Not to mention Paul Newman in a short skirt in "The Silver Chalice." (He apologized later for the really terrible acting he did in this major Hollyweird turkey.)
    This all just points out that anything do with the arts can be over-intellectualized and over-simplified.
    Having said that, the author does make some good points. For instance that quality is more than pixel count and sharp-looking images. I shot film with a Rolleiflex in the 1950s and 1960s and with a Yashicamat in the 1970s. All through those years I made tons of b&w prints from the negs and considered both cameras' lenses to be equally sharp. Recently I have been scanning those negs and soon realized while equally sharp, negs from one camera had much more richness and depth to them than the other. The Rollie negs are better.
    Point is -- there is a lot more to photography than counting pixels.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A wonderful film, but a whole lot of BS going on in that article. Still, very fun to reading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terrific article. Thanks.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Thanks for bringing this article to our attention. Tri-x has a unique palette, grain, and highlight preservation capability. It came along at the right moment in history, that moment being at least fifty years in duration.

I'm not sure that there are any papers left to bring out the best in Tri-x. I've since switched to Delta films and Ilford paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Tri-X 400, I wish it was available in 4"x5".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the first article I've seen that acknowledges that Tr-X was introduced before 1954, although it was 1938/9 not 1940 and made in the US, Kodak Ltd UK and it's Hungarian subsidiary which later became Forte.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Despite some inaccuracies, it's a good article that helps to communicate that there is a character (and benefit) to film. Though I wince at the comparison of grain to noise.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too enjoyed that the article gives film a fair shake beyond the silly discussion about resolution, and that there's more to it than plain numbers.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin