Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,578   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I didn't know Lewis Carroll was a photographer

Take a look at his collodion kit. It's pretty cool.

http://www.lewiscarroll.org/carroll/photography/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Charles Dodgson had a brilliant mind and I recommend the complete works of Lewis Carroll to anyone interested in creative exploration of thought and imagery.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure it's responsible to recommend a photographic portfolio of that nature without at least a fairly major disclaimer. Some of it would probably get the photographer a long holiday at government expense if taken today, and I'm not sure if it's all even legal to view under current law in some countries.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger Taylor wrote and excellent piece on Charles Dodgson in Lewis Carroll, Photographer: The Princeton University Library Albums. It's the definitive publication and lays some myths to rest.

Princeton has the complete archive of Dodgsons writings, diaries, and negatives as well as albums an the book is amazing as every page/image was individually colour proofed. Needless to say it's also very expensive.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I'm not sure it's responsible to recommend a photographic portfolio of that nature without at least a fairly major disclaimer. Some of it would probably get the photographer a long holiday at government expense if taken today, and I'm not sure if it's all even legal to view under current law in some countries.

-NT
    There is no evidence to support what you are suggesting. I prefer to give him the benefit of doubt. He was just a naive maths lecturer.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Some of it would probably get the photographer a long holiday at government expense if taken today, and I'm not sure if it's all even legal to view under current law in some countries.
    Well, I saw an exhibition (in England) a couple of years ago. I don't know if much was left out but what was shown made up a good exhibition.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    There is no evidence to support what you are suggesting. I prefer to give him the benefit of doubt. He was just a naive maths lecturer.
    I don't have an opinion on the guy, but times, mores, and laws have changed. Certainly some of his photos qualify as NSFW in a way that I really, really wouldn't want to have to explain to an IT department.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger Taylor found that Dodgson was very meticulous and recorded all the images he made in his diaries, when he photographed young girls they were chaperoned and all the images were made in a short period of time not over years as many had previously suggested. In addition at that time there was a craze for printed cards of paintings of young girls in similar poses which were seen as innocent, Dodgson was merely joining that bandwagon, whether that was appropriate is another issue and Victorian morals changed and he was caught up in the backlash and dropped out of public life..

Roger was one of my Tutors at University (on my MA course) and we spent an afternoon discussing his research and the book, and perceptions of Dodgson.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Roger Taylor found that Dodgson was very meticulous and recorded all the images he made in his diaries, when he photographed young girls they were chaperoned and all the images were made in a short period of time not over years as many had previously suggested. In addition at that time there was a craze for printed cards of paintings of young girls in similar poses which were seen as innocent, Dodgson was merely joining that bandwagon, whether that was appropriate is another issue and Victorian morals changed and he was caught up in the backlash and dropped out of public life..

Roger was one of my Tutors at University (on my MA course) and we spent an afternoon discussing his research and the book, and perceptions of Dodgson.

Ian
    So what do you think?

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what do you think?
    There's two issues, one is that the current climate of the perceived morality of photographing young children without clothes is probably flawed and over the top and biased against people taking quite innocent images of their own family and that affects artists as well. So that informs current perceptions of a few of Dodgsons images There weren't many).

Then there's no doubt that Dodgson was foolish making some of the images he did for misguided reasons (probably commercial as he intended to sell the images) but he wasn't a pedophile. Images like his were freely available at the time he made them.

We should be comparing these Dodsons images to work made by photographers like David Hamilton who was being praised in the 70's for images of naked young girls and realising that what we perceive to be immoral changes in a cyclical manner.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin