Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,544   Posts: 1,544,427   Online: 1081

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

David Bailey's Queen portrait.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on David Bailey's recent queen portrait, whether it was taken on film or not? I haven't been able to find anything via Google. I really like it, though I know others most certainly do not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On Google I see pictures with Hasselblad black frame, so I would guess it if on film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder what Bailey said to her to get that smile

Put me on the 'like' list (even if I prefer royals minus their heads)
    Last edited by hoffy; 04-24-2014 at 09:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's interesting that many commentators suggest it's in the 'instagram style' which would be ironic if it was taken on film given that instagram takes digital images and imposes a film look, in which case you could argue that instagram is actually 'Bailey Style'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    It's interesting that many commentators suggest it's in the 'instagram style' which would be ironic if it was taken on film given that instagram takes digital images and imposes a film look, in which case you could argue that instagram is actually 'Bailey Style'
    I bet many young people are sure that square format was invented by instagram

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no idea what an instagram is. Probably better that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=hoffy;1640079]I winder what Bailey said to her to get that smile

She was passing gas, just like babies do when they look like they are smiling.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I doubt Bailey would have used anything but film.

Great work, also. I could not imagine a more difficult subject than the most iconc royalty of our age. To capture a truly human and engaging photo of ERII is the true mark of a master.

I am also a monarchist, but that is a different discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a very, very, very good portrait of the Queen, very likeable indeed. I initially thought it was an Annie Libovitz shot. Whether it was made on film or digital is of no real consequence. I'm not a fan of royalty (there's a couple of them wandering around Australia all-expenses-paid at the moment) but the portrait has many qualities that easily speak of a photographer fully at ease with his subject, but also able to communicate with her to achieve an end. Annie Libovitz is another who is able to get that rarely-seen fun element to come from the Queen.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Both David Bailey and Annie Leibovitz are very good portrait photographers. But I think her style is quite different, very meticulously arranged and composed.

Bailey's style is more relaxed. Apparently, he spends much more time chatting and drinking tea with his subject, than actually photographing them. A great technique to make people feel relaxed and open up to the camera.

He also likes to crack jokes on the cruder end of the scale. Who knows what he said to make the Queen laugh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin