Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,240   Online: 998

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Everything I have read , negatives I have seen, prints I have seen tells me that Vivian was a very dedicated photographer who knew what she needed to record.
    Not crazy , just dedicated in a really good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Maloof probably started off thinking he hit a gold mine, but I think over time he has grown to appreciate Maier's work. Show me an art dealer who isn't into it for a buck. There are two things that are certainly true, Maier was a fantastic photographer and she was certainly (imho) bat crap crazy.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    double post sorry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The film certainly paints a picture of a rather eccentric personality for Maier. Whether she qualifies as "bat s*** crazy" is a matter of interpretation. Personally, I wouldn't go nearly that far. In any case, history is filled with stories of artists with "tail end of the bell curve" personalities. In that sense, she was as one might have expected.

I do find it interesting how her obsession with photography feathered neatly with her hoarding disorder.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW: I like Maier's work. I wish she had been alive to profit from it. She is not, and there are no heirs.

I would rather Mr. Maloof et al make some money in the process of making her body of work available to the public, than it remain hidden. Maloof has a fairly large job ahead of him: developing hundreds of rolls, cataloging them and scanning the negatives. Given that the museums and galleries he contacted, declined to accept the task, at least we should be thankful he decided to take the risk.

Sure, I think we all wish that Vivian Maier had been able to recognize the value (both artistic and financial) of her work. But, frankly, given her personality, that was unlikely. Sad, but true. So, at least we get to see it, and Mr. Maloof may end up getting rich...or not. It's the way of the world, and I don't condemn him for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I saw the film last night at a local screening. I have the first book of her work and was familiar with some of the back-story but wasn't quite ready for what was presented in the film. The biggest surprise for me was how unexpectedly sad her story is. She basically lived her last years and died alone and, from the sounds of it, was rather lonely. John Maloof is also an interesting character who adds something to the story, he definitely rubbed my wife the wrong way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I for one would prefer the unprocessed rolls remain as they are, unprocessed. How is anyone to know how she processed her film, if she did the developing herself. Should they even be processed is just as important a question ? Leave them as they are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    I for one would prefer the unprocessed rolls remain as they are, unprocessed. How is anyone to know how she processed her film, if she did the developing herself. Should they even be processed is just as important a question ? Leave them as they are.
    Really?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    How is anyone to know how she processed her film, if she did the developing herself.
    But we do know how she processed her film. SHE DIDNT PROCESS IT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Greedy" "profiteering" "opportunistic"

Maloof did the work to find and share this artwork. Without his work I would not have one my favourite photobooks. It is a shame Vivian Maier was never able to be recognized and paid for her art, but that doesn't mean that the people working to share her work now don't deserve to be paid for the effort. If he gets filthy stinking rich of the endevour, so what? He took a chance and it paid off. Good for him. I've never understood the distain for earning money that is held by some in the art and music world.

Seriously Canuhead, you'd rather these images never been seen simply because Vivian Maier's didn't develop them? Must art die with the artist? It isn't like she destroyed these rolls of film, she stored them unprocessed, which suggests she would have processed them eventually given the chance. She never pritned, so we don't know that the prints made are how she would have wanted them. Think of every print and photo book as a collaboration between Maier and Maloof if you like. I like the printing choices made in Street Photographer.

I'm waiting for Finding Vivian Maier to show up on Netflix Canada.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Actually she did print her work , Ron Slatterly has a very large collection that Vivian over saw produced.

I too am glad that Maloof has found this great body of work and is bringing it to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    "Greedy" "profiteering" "opportunistic"

Maloof did the work to find and share this artwork. Without his work I would not have one my favourite photobooks. It is a shame Vivian Maier was never able to be recognized and paid for her art, but that doesn't mean that the people working to share her work now don't deserve to be paid for the effort. If he gets filthy stinking rich of the endevour, so what? He took a chance and it paid off. Good for him. I've never understood the distain for earning money that is held by some in the art and music world.

Seriously Canuhead, you'd rather these images never been seen simply because Vivian Maier's didn't develop them? Must art die with the artist? It isn't like she destroyed these rolls of film, she stored them unprocessed, which suggests she would have processed them eventually given the chance. She never pritned, so we don't know that the prints made are how she would have wanted them. Think of every print and photo book as a collaboration between Maier and Maloof if you like. I like the printing choices made in Street Photographer.

I'm waiting for Finding Vivian Maier to show up on Netflix Canada.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin