Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,353   Online: 734

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    he was definitely a picker, aiming for profit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't understand all these ad hominem attacks of "he's a picker" and "he was aiming for a profit." Like you work for nothing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The rub for me comes from what I perceive as a lack of authenticity from Maloof.

If he were to present himself as he is, I'd have no issue. Instead, he is trying to present himself alternatively as a street photographer and a documentarian. There is nothing wrong with that, in and of itself, of course. The problem comes in that he is explicitly leveraging his arbitrary good fortune in discovering Maier's work to "jump ahead" in those fields, rather than paying his dues in those fields independently.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why is there a "lack of authenticity from Maloof"? Why is "Maloof not paying his dues....to jump ahead..." a problem? In any case, what do these things have to do with the artistic and other value of Maier's photography?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    plus one
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why is there a "lack of authenticity from Maloof"? Why is "Maloof not paying his dues....to jump ahead..." a problem? In any case, what do these things have to do with the artistic and other value of Maier's photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    what do these things have to do with the artistic and other value of Maier's photography?
    Nothing, of course. I'm discussing the movie, not her photographs.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What the flaming hell is wrong with making money? Does anybody think for one second that we would ever have seen one single image from Vivian Maier if somebody couldn't make a buck off it? The whole pile would be in a landfill right now. I say good for you, John Maloof, milk it for every penny you can get.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I didn't see the movie (don't really care frankly) but the whole episode to me reeks of pure greed. The only legitimate prints are the ones she either did herself or had done during her life. Everything else Maloof did is his interpretation as someone with no background in photography. It isn't like Maloof knew what he had when he bought them either. IIRC he was selling negatives on ebay until the whole Maier thing took off. That is what he thought of them. Opportunistic is the best was to describe him. Interesting to me IIRC is that he "found" her two years after he bought the negs, and right after she died. Hmmm.

This is just opinion, but I don't find Maier's work to be all that extraordinary. I think it is nostalgic, and she made some excellent images as would anyone who photographed constantly over decades, but I wouldn't call her "great" by any stretch of the imagination. There is nothing groundbreaking about her images. Compare what she did to Callahan or Siskind. Not even close. Take a look at her contact sheets. It is random spraying.

I think in the end a lot of people (especially photographers) gleam on to this story because they think that maybe after they die someone will care about the photographs they took during their life. It is a sort of misplaced hope that what they do really matters in the end. An extension of the ego if you will.

I expect everyone will attack me now. Oh well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't understand all these ad hominem attacks of "he's a picker" and "he was aiming for a profit." Like you work for nothing?
    Well, there is nothing wrong about being a picker. But to say one is altruistic and a historical curator is not right either. The driving force for the discovery was from being a picker for resale. So lets all be clear.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin