Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,053   Online: 929

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I would not characterize him as a picker. He was planning to write a book on the history of a Chicago neighborhood, found this large lot of photographs at a sale and bought them, thinking they would be useful to illustrate the book. He was buying them to use them, not to re-sell.
    I read a different story. But I may be wrong. If I was a picker I'd say so. I'd tell you here are the pix, here is the price. That is what he does. Maybe with a little embellishment in his title. I don't know or care. Whatever they are worth is what they are worth...picker or not.

I will buy the DVD used when it comes around. That is my interest in Maier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    I don't find Maier's work to be all that extraordinary.
    This is an aspect of the story I do find quite fascinating.

I don't know how one tells "quality" street photography from junk, or anywhere in between. I spent time years ago as a photojournalist, so the "capture the story" aspect of street photography always appeals to me. I find a few of Maier's images to be very captivating, because of that effect.

But the genre today seems to be filled with unoriginal copycats...people who think going to an "urban" environment, taking a zillion photos with their DSLR, running them through Nik SilverEfx to convert them to grainy B&W and PRESTO! Instant art. That doesn't work for me.

And maybe that is Maier's central allure. Say what you will about the photos, they are certainly authentic. In an Instagram world, authenticity matters.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vivian DID NOT print anything herself!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mamiya View Post
    Define "print herself." She made approximately 3000 prints according to the documentary (I could be offon the number, my memory is not perfect).

Did she go into a dark room and make the prints herself? No. Did she have prints made at a lab (like most people did), yes she did. In the film they even show some postcards she had printed. They have letters she wrote to the lab (in France) that printed those post cards, asking if the printer would be interested in making prints for her while she lived in America.

After posting how I was going to wait for this to end up on Netflix I checked out the film's webpage and found out it was opening in my town the next day, so I went and saw it. I enjoyed it. I think I walked away with just as many questions about Vivian Maier as I went in with, but they are different questions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interestingly emphatic first post there, sir_mamiya!
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    But did she need to?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    I think I walked away with just as many questions about Vivian Maier as I went in with, but they are different questions.
    I agree, which I believe is a positive aspect of the film. Given the fact the Vivian is no longer with us and the different people who remember her in different ways from different time periods I thought it appropriate that the viewer was, in many ways, left to decide for themselves who and what to believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And your point is???
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I don't understand all these ad hominem attacks of "he's a picker" and "he was aiming for a profit." Like you work for nothing?

Shooter
    35mm
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin