Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,748   Posts: 1,670,520   Online: 918

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vivian DID NOT print anything herself!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mamiya View Post
    Define "print herself." She made approximately 3000 prints according to the documentary (I could be offon the number, my memory is not perfect).

Did she go into a dark room and make the prints herself? No. Did she have prints made at a lab (like most people did), yes she did. In the film they even show some postcards she had printed. They have letters she wrote to the lab (in France) that printed those post cards, asking if the printer would be interested in making prints for her while she lived in America.

After posting how I was going to wait for this to end up on Netflix I checked out the film's webpage and found out it was opening in my town the next day, so I went and saw it. I enjoyed it. I think I walked away with just as many questions about Vivian Maier as I went in with, but they are different questions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interestingly emphatic first post there, sir_mamiya!
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mamiya View Post
    But did she need to?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    I think I walked away with just as many questions about Vivian Maier as I went in with, but they are different questions.
    I agree, which I believe is a positive aspect of the film. Given the fact the Vivian is no longer with us and the different people who remember her in different ways from different time periods I thought it appropriate that the viewer was, in many ways, left to decide for themselves who and what to believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I don't understand all these ad hominem attacks of "he's a picker" and "he was aiming for a profit." Like you work for nothing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Large Format
    I saw this today and very much enjoyed it
    there was lots of information that i did not know about the story perviously
    Mr Maloof seemed pretty genuine and had gone to a lot of trouble to find information

I have no idea what the other 3 people with large amounts of Vivians photos are doing with them

"Quote Originally Posted by sir_mamiya View Post
    Vivian DID NOT print anything herself!! "

sir mamiya

did you know her personally ?

it seems to me that very little is known about this lady
    for all i know she had her own darkroom somewhere which has yet to come to light

likewise i do not know you and you may well be the greatest photographer the world will ever see

robin

London

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe I'll see the film on bluray.

But at least it's doing two good things. It's promoting Meier's photos, which are very good. And it's raising the profile of street photography.

I also think there are three reasons her photos still work. She had an eye for puctures, she used good cameras, she used good films.

No Ilford, no, no.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-20-2014 at 01:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrigham View Post
    I have no idea what the other 3 people with large amounts of Vivians photos are doing with them

robin

London
    I just saw an exhibit from the Jeffrey Goldstein collection at a local art center: http://www.theartcenterhp.org/exhibits/past-exhibits

These were smallish, I believe 12x12 in, darkroom prints made for exhibit. The printing was excellent. I was blown away by how sharp the prints appeared. If a Goldstein collection exhibit is nearby I recommened seeing it. Print prices were mostly $2200 but a few higher. Not sure who buys these unsigned prints at that price.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin