Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,836   Online: 790

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I saw this today and very much enjoyed it
    there was lots of information that i did not know about the story perviously
    Mr Maloof seemed pretty genuine and had gone to a lot of trouble to find information

I have no idea what the other 3 people with large amounts of Vivians photos are doing with them

"Quote Originally Posted by sir_mamiya View Post
    Vivian DID NOT print anything herself!! "

sir mamiya

did you know her personally ?

it seems to me that very little is known about this lady
    for all i know she had her own darkroom somewhere which has yet to come to light

likewise i do not know you and you may well be the greatest photographer the world will ever see

robin

London

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe I'll see the film on bluray.

But at least it's doing two good things. It's promoting Meier's photos, which are very good. And it's raising the profile of street photography.

I also think there are three reasons her photos still work. She had an eye for puctures, she used good cameras, she used good films.

No Ilford, no, no.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-20-2014 at 01:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrigham View Post
    I have no idea what the other 3 people with large amounts of Vivians photos are doing with them

robin

London
    I just saw an exhibit from the Jeffrey Goldstein collection at a local art center: http://www.theartcenterhp.org/exhibits/past-exhibits

These were smallish, I believe 12x12 in, darkroom prints made for exhibit. The printing was excellent. I was blown away by how sharp the prints appeared. If a Goldstein collection exhibit is nearby I recommened seeing it. Print prices were mostly $2200 but a few higher. Not sure who buys these unsigned prints at that price.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Same people who would buy an August Sander print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Why is there a "lack of authenticity from Maloof"? Why is "Maloof not paying his dues....to jump ahead..." a problem? In any case, what do these things have to do with the artistic and other value of Maier's photography?
    Alan you are very right.
    This came up on the news section here: http://www.vivianmaier.com/news/
    The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC), one of the nation’s leading art and design schools, announced the establishment of the endowed Vivian Maier Scholarship Fund. The need-based scholarship was made possible by generous donations from Ravine Pictures’ John Maloof and Charlie Siskel, and art gallerist Howard Greenberg.
    Because Vivian Maier’s work has changed lives—John’s in particular—we are forever indebted to her. That is why a share of the proceeds from sales of her work and the film Finding Vivian Maier are used to create an endowed and permanent scholarship—the Vivian Maier Scholarship—at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, an institution that was important to Vivian. Every year, young photographers will receive financial assistance allowing them to pursue their art with some of the economic burden lifted, thanks to Vivian Maier. This will be another one of Vivian’s gifts to the world and another part of her legacy.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @ rbrigham #51
    IIRC no prints was found or if ony very few. A letter was found she wrote to the owner of the photostore i her mothers hometown in France asking him about printing her work. According to her words she knew her work was good. She was a collector but among her belongings no enlarger or other darkroom equipment was found, or at least no comments on such in the program. No of the famelies she worked for mentioned anything about her having a darkroom. And last a lotof her work was still undevelped film after her death. So I think its save to say she didn't print anything her self.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    @ rbrigham #51
    IIRC no prints was found or if ony very few. A letter was found she wrote to the owner of the photostore i her mothers hometown in France asking him about printing her work. According to her words she knew her work was good. She was a collector but among her belongings no enlarger or other darkroom equipment was found, or at least no comments on such in the program. No of the famelies she worked for mentioned anything about her having a darkroom. And last a lotof her work was still undevelped film after her death. So I think its save to say she didn't print anything her self.
    Best regards
    I don't see that it matters.

Clearly, her interest was in taking the photos, and she was good at it. A lot of great photographers have assistants who do all of their photochemical work. That doesn't diminish the value of their work.

For Meier, being a poor lodger for most of her life, it wasn't an option to have a darkroom or asisstants.

I got the impression that a lot of her undeveloped material was chromes, presumably because it was more expensive to develop.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 07-23-2014 at 05:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw the film last night and enjoyed it. My only problem with Maloof is that he didn't mention the other guys who also own some of Maier's work.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    I saw the film last night and enjoyed it. My only problem with Maloof is that he didn't mention the other guys who also own some of Maier's work.
    And I saw today. Enjoyed it.
    About prints, she had them done. In fact the film shows she had a preference for semi-gloss paper. It is on the instructions on the receipts she kept.
    She did have a darkroom once for a few years or so. That came on the BBC documentary, which was very good. The BBC doc also shows some of her prints that belong to another collector.

P.S. The cinema I went to is digital and it was a small room. There were about 20 or less people.
    Before the screening started there were a few of them on their iphones, ipads and so on.
    After the "film" ended I bet some went straight to Ebay to find some Rolleiflex!
    I hope they do!
    Last edited by Ricardo Miranda; 07-24-2014 at 01:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Lots of vintage Vivian Maier prints at Stephen Bulger gallery right now, the show is fantastic. This would be images from the Jeffrey Goldstein collection.

Ron Gordon from Chicago is the printer and he is very good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin