Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,995   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Nothing. Sorry to have seemed obtuse, as it was not my intent. I just never saw the beauty in MM. She was overweight (imo) with a rack that would have been sagging over her belt, had she lived. Jaclyn Smith will be gorgeous when she's a 90 year old woman. Some women are just that way. The OP provided an interesting post though.
    I'm afraid,we have to take this outside if you say anything negative aboutMMagain
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the closeups are lovely ..
    she looks so sad

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for posting!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just never saw the beauty in MM. She was overweight (imo) with a rack that would have been sagging over her belt, had she lived.
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    My wife says Marilyn was a much larger lady than is fashionable these days and that different decades have their own ideal female figures, for example in the 1920's it was fashionable to be flat chested and some women used to bandage their breasts flat.
    At 5'5" and a "steady" weight of about 118 pounds (to be fair, Marilyn drove wardrobe departments crazy, and often they maintained several complete sets of clothes for her), Marilyn was far from overweight and would be perfectly at home in men's magazines today. Going off the Wikipedia entries for this year, she'd be right at home among any of them (Miss April, Shanice Jordyn, is an inch shorter and about the same weight), though she'd be noticeably curvy. You can take these next numbers with a grain of salt, of course, but she probably wouldn't be perceptibly heavier than Angelina Jolie (5'8"/~120), Halle Berry (5'5.5"/~120) or even Kate Moss (5'7"/~120).

The perception of Marilyn as a "bigger than modern" woman is mostly a hijack and a misunderstanding of the way clothes sizing has changed over the decades. People like to say she was a size 14 or 16, but in modern terms she'd be much closer to a 6 or 8. A size 16 off the department-store rack today would fit her like a tent.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can't say anything more about MM, or Ralph will give me a fat lip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't worry - I am sure there is a queue forming as well

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just saying!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the OP's link to MM images, there seems to be missing the iconic image which Avedon talks about as taken when she let her guard down. Its in his "Woman in the Mirror" book.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha! If you don't find her to your liking, that's up to you; I just wanted to point out that calling her "overweight" isn't using any common definition of the word.

Steering back to photography, I have a very large Cibachrome of her famous "Golden Dreams" picture. It was a very sad day when Ilfochrome died; those prints have something special I haven't really seen anywhere else. I'm told there are still a precious few printers who have the supplies and expertise to make Ilfochrome prints, but first you have to shoot something worth the expense!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I know why I didn't care for her:
    The same reason I wouldn't read any Hemingway, and don't want to hear any more Boston songs, etc When you kill yourself, I really would just as soon not hear about anything you did. You've discredited it all. George Eastman was a very sick old man who knew he would soon be a vegetable in agony. He did it while he could still move his arm. I give him a pass. But with suicide, if you do that, then I just plain don't care for you or anything you did. Life's hard Lord knows.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin