Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 943

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I know why I didn't care for her:
    The same reason I wouldn't read any Hemingway, and don't want to hear any more Boston songs, etc When you kill yourself, I really would just as soon not hear about anything you did. You've discredited it all.
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." - E. Hemingway

It is now believed that Hemingway suffered from an iron-absorption disorder that contributed to his lifelong struggle w/ depression.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll hide the thread out of respect for you all (y'all). Shouldn't have chime in on this photographic website in the first place. Respects and apologies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanx!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Like Kertesz, I classify Avedon as one of the biggest art phonies of all time. But being a cleverly-marketed deliberate phony equated to alleged creativity as the sixties approached, just like Warhol and especially Lichtenstein. What a disgusting era. I wonder how many celebrity photographers would even be celebrated themselves if their subject weren't celebrities themselves. Bah humbug to the whole Naw Yoiker
    Fashionista culture anyway. If I see just one more Avedon picture in an art museum or airport lobby, I think I'll vomit. Just a commodity at this
    point. The avante garde of the 60's is now just another stuck record played over and over and over and over....ad nauseum.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Drew,

As far as I saw at old 8mm shots , america looks more perfect than today. Corbusier , Wright , Saarinen saw the 50s and 60s and marked the age. Cars were 100 times better than todays hyundais. People was knowing how to wear , music was excellent and poetry and literature and cinema was excellent. I think now all for anti soviet propaganda. When the Soviets collapsed . cadillac turned to toyota , music in to madonna and later rap . Look 1950s SR71 and todays F35 , Look 50s americas cup boats and todays monkey cage boats. Thanks to internet , todays life is bearable with it.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Like Kertesz, I classify Avedon as one of the biggest art phonies of all time. But being a cleverly-marketed deliberate phony equated to alleged creativity as the sixties approached, just like Warhol and especially Lichtenstein. What a disgusting era. I wonder how many celebrity photographers would even be celebrated themselves if their subject weren't celebrities themselves. Bah humbug to the whole Naw Yoiker
    Fashionista culture anyway. If I see just one more Avedon picture in an art museum or airport lobby, I think I'll vomit. Just a commodity at this
    point. The avante garde of the 60's is now just another stuck record played over and over and over and over....ad nauseum.

i find most of the photographers that are "celebrated" today to be kind of boring, the 60s had nothing to do with it.
    at least in the 60s and the 50 years before that, people making art ( commodity, pop, expressionist, surrealist, abstract, dadaist &c )
    were using their imagination, "these days" im not sure what people are doing seeing there is nothing new under the sun ..
    how many grand landscapes, mundane views &c can someone look at ..

oh, yeah ...

"get off my lawn"
    ===

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Like Kertesz, I classify Avedon as one of the biggest art phonies of all time.
    I would classify Kertesz as one of the giants of photography. Why do you find his work phony?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    when I think of MM I think of Some Like It Hot. It is her voice, facial expressions, eyes, body movement that would turn an ordinary man into mush. Those photos don't really capture that vibe for me. In fact I don't find those photos "sexy" but rather forced and unnatural. That's just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    35mm
    For MM fans: here is a Cibachrome enlargement from a Kodachrome which was originally taken c. 1946. Marilyn is in her early 20's and has not been in any movies. She has not yet bleached her hair, nor acquired the beauty mark on her cheek.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarMonA1-4-14.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	594.5 KB 
ID:	89483

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Cliveh ... Me, myself, just like Kertesz, finds Avdeon a pretentious advertisting photogapher. I admire Kertesz, but dislike Avedon for the same
    reason he did. Kertesz was independently very wealthy, so really didn't need to put on an act. But I will admit that while I can appreciate the
    skills necessary to be a successful commercial photographer, I detest the instant "gotcha" intrusion of ad psychology into alleged art photography. I prefer images which can grow on you. But a lot of emphasis nowadays is on superficial first impressions, and Avedon was a
    master at playing that game. Take his alleged ability to draw out the sad "inner soul" of his subjects like Marilyn of the Duke and Duchess of
    Windsor looking all depressed. He was merely taking advantage of them and downright wearing them down till they we so exhaused that,
    at the right moment when they were off-guard, he popped the shutter. Just doing his artsy thing at their expense. I doubt he really had
    any more sympathy for them than a bug on a pin in an insect collection... but whatever. His work just seems contrived.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin