Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,900   Online: 898

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi Drew,

Yes, Dali could paint, no doubt about it. His early still lifes are amazing. His name just happen to pop in to my head when reading the previous posts. Perhaps it was this [not only being extremely good at what he did] but also his promotion techniques that made him a household name. Otherwise, he walked the talk and talked the walk.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the migrant mother portrait was posed too
    was the photographer who took that also a hack
    and self promoter ?

sure you dont like avedon, we get it, but as i mentioned before he
    has done innovative things that others had not done before him
    which are commonplace today ,, and while you may think his american west portraits are corny or even cliche'd
    and sure disfarmer did a whole towns worth of deadpan portraits .. is
    he a selfpromoter hack as well .. he probably advertised...

it is easy to claim someone is basically a hack who takes cheesy photographs...
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-18-2014 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yurisrey View Post
    hi Drew,

Yes, Dali could paint, no doubt about it. His early still lifes are amazing. His name just happen to pop in to my head when reading the previous posts. Perhaps it was this [not only being extremely good at what he did] but also his promotion techniques that made him a household name. Otherwise, he walked the talk and talked the walk.
    hi yurisrey

i know what you mean ...
    but im thinking more like pablo picasso seeing jonathan richman immortalized him in song as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2iLAubras

[FWIW language is kind of coarse ]

====

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Cliveh - back to the Cameron detour - I can't find any pictures of the current museum, so can't determine if it was part of the main house or the guest cottage. Some docent there would know. They bought two full lots with moderately large houses on them, then actually connected the two into one huge house via something even bigger they called the "tower". One extreme end was remodeled with large windows for a guest conservatory above and her studio below. I don't know if this lower floor equates to what was either affectionately or contemptuously referred to as the "chicken coop", or if that was something previous, once actually used for poultry. Don't have the time to research that right now. But it is perfectly obvious from many of her pictures themselves that they had a full live-in staff of maids, servants, gardeners, a driver, etc, plus facilities for numerous guests in the main house itself - in other words, a fairly opulent lifestyle. And she had neither the interest or need to "market" her work. She was essentially an amateur. What amazes me is just how corny her idea of art was.
    You should read her poetry - about a gooey as it gets. But once she got behind the camera, her intuitive vision just seemed to transcend all
    her own stereotypes - and oh, then the magic happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi yurisrey

i know what you mean ...
    but im thinking more like pablo picasso seeing jonathan richman immortalized him in song as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2iLAubras

[FWIW language is kind of coarse ]

====
    great video. I agree, Dali was no Picasso in this respect. (And probably Buñuel would agree.)

also about Cameron, isn't there some sort of Virginia Woolf connection? I remember reading in Techniques of the World's Great Photographers that there was some sort of familial tie between the two?
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yeah...The did Virginia W's portrait, and all kinds of other famous connections, esp Alice Liddel, the little girl behind Alice in Wonderland, whom she frequently photographed. Her father, the author of "Alice" apparently despised Queen Victoria, whom he lampooned in that story, along with her stiff court. So another thing I love about Cameron is how even her domestics are now on a par with the rich and famous, simply because she took such stunning portraits of them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, my whole point in this mismatched comparison is how both Cameron and Avedon were addicted to artificial theatric nonsense in their portrait work, and one somehow leapfrogged over it to produce deeply intuitive timeless work, while the other comes across as a self-conscious
    marketer of very, very dated advertising images per se.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marilyn Munroe was notoriously difficult to work with Billy Wilder said after he had directed 2 of her movies that every day he filmed with her when he got home he hated women so much he felt like beating up his wife !.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-20-2014 at 10:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    But the performance she gave in "Some Like It Hot" was worth all the trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by falotico View Post
    But the performance she gave in "Some Like It Hot" was worth all the trouble.
    Wilder also said " after making two movies with her I don't want an Oscar , I want a purple heart.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin