Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,714   Online: 826

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Beautiful Marilyn Monroe Photographed by Richard Avedon, 1957

Beautiful Marilyn Monroe Photographed by Richard Avedon, 1957

What a great set of images...

http://www.shootingfilm.net/2014/04/...tographed.html
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    At 68 years old Jaclyn Smith is still the all-time babe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pick the shot that 'Richard' pops up to say hello in the contact sheets. I actually find these more interesting then the main shots.

PS, Jaclyn Smith? What does she have to do with this?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nothing. Sorry to have seemed obtuse, as it was not my intent. I just never saw the beauty in MM. She was overweight (imo) with a rack that would have been sagging over her belt, had she lived. Jaclyn Smith will be gorgeous when she's a 90 year old woman. Some women are just that way. The OP provided an interesting post though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Nothing. Sorry to have seemed obtuse, as it was not my intent. I just never saw the beauty in MM. She was overweight (imo) with a rack that would have been sagging over her belt, had she lived. Jaclyn Smith will be gorgeous when she's a 90 year old woman. Some women are just that way. The OP provided an interesting post though.
    Over weight......... I'm not saying a word more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Marilyn was vulnerable and real, which is what made her so attractive, along w/ her amazing looks. Avedon was one of the greats of his time, or any time for that matter. Wonderful series of photos. Thanks Richard. The quotes from Avedon about the shoot are memorable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My wife says Marilyn was a much larger lady than is fashionable these days and that different decades have their own ideal female figures, for example in the 1920's it was fashionable to be flat chested and some women used to bandage their breasts flat.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think I've developed "age progression software" in my later life to where I can look at somebody (especially women) and see the future. MM was 36 when she killed herself, so when I see pics of her I can see see would not have aged well. So maybe that's where I'm coming from, not sure. I was only 6 years old at the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    MM was 36 when she killed herself, so when I see pics of her I can see see would not have aged well. So maybe that's where I'm coming from, not sure. I was only 6 years old at the time.
    ^From a cinematographic viewpoint, her eyes alone (not to mention her facial symmetry) would suggest otherwise had she lived longer.

Btw, great link, Avedon's work has always been a great inspiration as was Ms. Monroe's dedication to acting (How to Marry a Millionaire - is a personal favorite of mine). Two true American icons right there.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, but...

What happened to so many of the prints that they are all messed up?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin