Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,799   Online: 1114

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Blah. Not going to work unless it's real special.
    Tintype portrait comes to mind. That's another galaxy. But using tri-x and merely printing it is not special enough. And if you're not a very good printer, the quality will be less then digital.

Youtube "The Science of Tintype Photography". The guy charges only 60$ for an amazing tintype portrait. Cheap and exclusive. That's the way to go.
    Yea I have similar thoughts. Most people these days would not know the difference between a digital born print and and analog born print unless you take the time to point them out. Because of this it is unlikely that will see any added value.

However with something like tintype you have to do the whole process in about 15 minutes this gives you the opportunity to let the customer observe the process. Beating able to see the process and walk out with a one of a kind image would definitely be added value.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure that people would want tintypes for their wedding photos. They look nice but they have an antiquated, gritty look which might not be suitable to happy occasions.

I would suggest going for colour film mainly. The reason is that it is harder to emulate digitally than B&W. Most customers would not see the difference betwen a dgital shot processed well i Silver Efex and the real thing.

But with colour film you could give them a unique look which they couldn't have with digital. Presumably, it would be more expensive though due to the extra work, but if you use really good portfolio samples, I am sure people would go fo it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There is digital, there is film, and there is other film. The late Lou Charno of Kansas City used a tri-color camera to make dye transfer portraits of discerning (and well-heeled) clients.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think the general public are that discerning anymore than they are worried by what what brand of flash gun you use, I agree with cliveh, they are only interested in the results not how they are achieved.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    I am not sure that people would want tintypes for their wedding photos.
    No you would just mainly use it for portraits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    No you would just mainly use it for portraits.
    i know someone who has taken wedding formals as tintypes ..
    i also know someone who hand made a wedding album and
    filled it with silver prints and beautifully made cyanotypes ...

i am sure if someone markets themselves and produces something of quality
    they will get customers. but in this day and age, it has to be "different" and
    extremely good quality ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could do that.
    Offer it as an extra option (to the standard digital package).

An tie it to a fibre print.

Let's say your rate is 300$ per session.
    Tell them for an extra 100$ they also get 2 traditional prints made from film on fibre paper, say on torso portrait and one head and shoulders.

If I were you, I'd use MF with a slight telephoto with smooth bokeh, say a Bronica with an 150mm f/3.5 S, or a Hassy with an 180mm Sonnar, with a traditional fine grain film like FP4+ or PanF+, and a greenyellow filter.
    Maybe an orange one for the ladies to smoothen their skin, and a green one for the gents to make them look rough.

Then, the essential part, a nice fibre print.
    Size depends on the pricing you can charge, but an 20x24" (cropped to 20x20" if using 6x6) from medium format would look nice.

TL;DR: offer the film service as an extra "special" add on to your main package, and tie it with traditional prints so you ensure it will look special compared to the digital shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    The end result is more important than the medium.
    +1.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    35mm
    Coming back into printing after a 30 year gap, starting over and buying darkroom gear I could only dream about back then. Biggest shock for me was the price difference between colour and mono paper. Ilford Fine Art 16x20" @ £5 a sheet. Kodak Metallic ~£3 a sheet if you figure out how to cut it without wastage. Other colour papers ~ £0.60 per 16x20" if you do the cutting. About a quid per sheet for chemicals with colour, half that for mono.

How many potential clients understand that mono costs huge compared to colour?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by giannisg2004 View Post
    You could do that.
    TL;DR: offer the film service as an extra "special" add on to your main package, and tie it with traditional prints so you ensure it will look special compared to the digital shots.
    +1

Unless and until you have the dedication and the clientele to offer "film only", having a premium add-on would seem to be the way to go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin