Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,174   Online: 707

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film is more fun than digital (as if we needed convincing)

Pete Meyers (I think he is an APUG member) wrote this article that appeared recently on the photo.net website State of the ART: Enough Already! Revisited. By sharing the article I know I am preaching to the choir, but it does present one person's reason(s) for preferring film over digital. Perhaps some of you, like me, can relate to some or all of his message.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think film is more fun than digital.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While I wholeheathedly agree with Pete Meyer's decision, I think that the arguments put forward won't seem very convincing to someone who's only experienced digital photography.

For instance, I hink that the removal of aa-filtering coupled with better "digital" lenses is the most important development in digital cameras. Instead of mandatory blur, you get the option to apply your own level of noise reduction and sharpness. Tools like DxO Optics are excellent for this. The draw-back is that many consumers won't invest in lenses that are good enough for, say, a 36Mp sensor with no aa.

I think one of the major advantages of film, which digital can't match is the 3-dimensional effect caused by the emulsion layers. This is actually visible even to non-photographers. When people with no interest in photography see my images captured on film, they often comment on the depth effect.

The main way to increase depth in a digital image is to increase contrast. But that also kills the tones to some degree. With film you can have both.

This is especially true of colour film, I think. While it's possible to mock the look of B&W film digitally to a reasonable degree, I have yet to see a convincing colour film mock-up on digital.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 05-31-2014 at 03:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh look, a film vs digital thread.
    I expect this'll produce some new and useful views and information

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Then why not contribute in a positive way?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post
    While I wholeheathedly agree with Pete Meyer's decision, I think that the arguments put forward won't seem very convincing to someone who's only experienced digital photography.

For instance, I hink that the removal of aa-filtering coupled with better "digital" lenses is the most important development in digital cameras. Instead of mandatory blur, you get the option to apply your own level of noise reduction and sharpness. Tools like DxO Optics are excellent for this. The draw-back is that many consumers won't invest in lenses that are good enough for, say, a 36Mp sensor with no aa.

I think one of the major advantages of film, which digital can't match is the 3-dimensional effect caused by the emulsion layers. This is actually visible even to non-photographers. When people with no interest in photography see my images captured on film, they often comment on the depth effect.

The main way to increase depth in a digital image is to increase contrast. But that also kills the tones to some degree. With film you can have both.

This is especially true of colour film, I think. While it's possible to mock the look of B&W film digitally to a reasonable degree, I have yet to see a convincing colour film mock-up on digital.
    That is funny, I agree except I would say the that BW is the picture with more depth. Although it probably its because I do not print my own color so everything is scanned in and the printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Oh look, a film vs digital thread.
    I expect this'll produce some new and useful views and information
    +1
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    there is a "ignore thread" option in thread tools. I use it a lot.

I did learn something from the article.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    there is a "ignore thread" option in thread tools. I use it a lot.

I did learn something from the article.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    LOL

thanks for reminding me !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Definitely but the digital shooters collasped the film industry so now it's not as much fun as before. Not to many film choices. Film is getting quite expensive and hard to get. Hard to get good processing or supply to DIY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin