Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,498   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

How to ask brides/clients to be patient?

I am a wedding photographer. Brides always want me to select single photos and send to them before delivery date. I am not really talking about thank you card but other photos with family remembers.
    I would love to do it for them and send them but the only problem that it really messes up my workflow. I allocate equal time for everybody's wedding. It is hard to pull the drives, go through the wedding photos, selecting them and editing them before final delivery while I am still editing somebody else's wedding. It takes a long time and this way I feel that I will never be able to meet my deadlines.

The best example is father's day. Everybody wants to have a photo with their father...

How do you do it? Are sending clients/brides photos after their wedding before the delivery date or you ask them to wait for the final product? If you ask them how do you ask them to be patient?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Since this *always* happens, change your workflow. Allocate some time after each event to find two or three promising shots and email them (low res, of course) to the client with a note like "Congratulations! Your wedding was beautiful and I think I got some great shots. Here's a teaser, a few I thought you might like. I'm looking forward to showing you the full portfolio when we meet on XX-XX-XXXX."
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, the client is always right. This is all about their big day.

You could probably standardise it to save time. Try to shoot some designated preview shots in much the same way on each wedding and set up some good presets for editing. Then it should be fast and easy enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The guy who did my daughter's wedding gave them a look on a laptop right after the ceremony and let them pick a few that he emailed to them before leaving the building.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a digital workflow discussion. Not appropriate on APUG.
    silverlilly.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Goodness gracious.

Let's erase all instances of "drives" and replace with "binders." It's worth a discussion - as to strategies on how to deal with this situation. I imagine it would be exacerbated if the photographer in question had to develop film and print images - that would delay previews even further.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well I had a thread locked the other day for mentioning inkjet paper as post production and I don't even have a digital camera.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm

film flam

If you are shooting weddings on film you can tell the bride that the proofs are not back from the lab yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post

I hope you have a contract. But always spell everything out including the delivery date. Always over estimate your time. If you're able to get it to them early, they'll be even happier. If they're not happy with your timeline, you might charge more or not take the assignment.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    Damn digital cameras. Every time I hear about one I want to pop somebody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin