Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,736   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Sebastiao Salgado

I'm curious about Sebastiao Salgado's images, or more specifically, his prints. They have an extremely long range of extremely smooth tonal gradations. Even more impressive is the fact that there is detail absolutely everywhere and all of the tones, from the most extreme shadow to brightest sky, show good contrast on the print despite the limited luminance range of photographic paper.

How is this done? I have never achieved anything remotely approaching this look with Tri-X for either 35mm or 120, even with pulling development. Is it extensive dodging and burning? If so, how does such a heavily dodged and burned photograph not show artifacts of the process (light/dark halos around dodged/burned objects, etc.)?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting. My recollection of some of his prints from a series he did in the Galapagos was just the opposite. I remember them as 'chalk and soot' extreme contrast.

Anyway, it is all about the lighting I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He used to use some sort of wizard of a printer in France, his name escapes me at the moment. That was before he switched to digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoots digital and prints analogue.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Split grade printing with burning and dodging.

His printer could print like Rory gulf on a good day.

Look at Ansells prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Early work - nikon camera, unknown films: book "Other Americas" --> bad print quality (I am guessing because of bad film developing, not printing) but best photos I have ever seen, pure genius. His best work IMHO.

Leica cameras, TriX and Tmax 3200 films: books like "Migrations", "Workers" ... --> excellent print quality, Paris Picto Lab did those prints - this was the lab that all Magnum guys used in golden time.

Late work - digital special modified canon 5D camera: book "Genesis" --> excellent print quality (here you can see what can be done when you have money to convert digital in 4x5 negative and print on Silver gelatin print, and when best Lab in Paris is doing this for you), but pictures are far away from his best work "Other Americas".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @darkosaric: There is an exhibition going on in Bremen... http://www.focke-museum.de/de/sonder...ktuell/salgado
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    @darkosaric: There is an exhibition going on in Bremen... http://www.focke-museum.de/de/sonder...ktuell/salgado
    Thanks! I was planing to take Niedersachsen-Ticket with my wife and visit Bremen and some other places in one day traveling .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not a native of Germany, came here to pursue my higher education. I personally find Bremen a very nice city...

On bright summer day there is chance to see one of the biggest biergarten on the banks of Weser.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I am not a native of Germany, came here to pursue my higher education. I personally find Bremen a very nice city...

On bright summer day there is chance to see one of the biggest biergarten on the banks of Weser.
    I am also not native German, don't have German citizenship, but any patriotism that I have - it goes to Germany. I love Germany more than any other country.
    I saw that Bremen has one of the most beautiful Town Halls in Europe, in the list of UNESCO Heritage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin