Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,755   Online: 848

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pickers 'fine prints'

Was visiting a friend and he dragged out a half dozen of Fred Picker 'fine prints' that he had purchased years ago when he was making his darkroom a Picker shrine with every Zone VI gadget known to man.
    They weren't too good. For the most part not good at all. They did have a black & a paper white in the image but were lacking in contrast overall and the mid tones were flat.
    It is no wonder his printing isn't too good if these are what he was using to judge what print excellence is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got an old reference print of his (the horses in field) and some sets of 5X7 notecards. They all strike me as flat appearing, too. Have tastes changed over the years, digital pizzazz and saturated emulsions warped our perceptions? I recall buying the notecards after he praised the printer's work in finally getting the tones inked in the manner that he found correct. I remember them being a letdown when they arrived.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I bought a set some years ago for $25 to use as a reference in the darkroom. I was alrady a much better printer than the guy who made those. I used to throw prints like that in the trash. I sent them back and got a refund. It is about the onl bad Zone VI thing I ever bought - and I own a fair amount of their stuff. I didn't like their tripod much, either - love everything else.

-Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Back whenthe missus was working, (that's a loooong time ago) I actually bought one of Fred's "real" prints. It was very well done. The exact opposite of his "reference" prints.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Prints

Joe-no wonder you do such good work! Actually Fred Picker was an excellant printer. I think the guy who produced the "work" prints was blind! Speaking with someone who was close to the situation the prints could have been done by anyone eho was put to the task on that particular day.
    Regards, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought two of his $25 reference prints - at the time, I was living in small town Georgia and had no access to ANY other b&w prints. I found one of his old barn very useful - it displayed a full range of tones and showed me that I had a lot of work to do. I still look at it sometimes. A second print, of a church, was simply white and black with no midtones.

I almost think he picked the negatives for his reference prints to show off the tonal extremes he got with his Brilliant paper, which he began selling at about the time he began offering reference prints.
    juan

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Like others , I bought the series of prints that came with the video, patiently waiting to recieve these wonderful masterpieces that would be pinned to the darkroom wall for something to achieve to .
    I got the river with white snow and the side of the barn. Quite frankly they were the crappyiest prints I have ever seen.
    I brought them to New York (Jacobs Center) and went to Zone V1 booth and asked the representative to explain the poor quality.(he did not).
    These two prints were a major let down as I had all the videos and newsletters and they did not match the message that was written.
    The internet has opened up the community and I am thankful that Sean started this site.
    If one is proposing bullshit on this forum, there are many here who will stop it in its track and for newbies the wealth of information to glean from this site is amazing and I wish it was around when I was starting out.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    ... glean from this site is amazing and I wish it was around when I was starting out.
    I'm sorry, but one simply cannot use the word 'glean' on this forum. Rules of decorum must be followed.

-Mike

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    huh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He was referring to Bob's use of male bovine defecation .....
    Craig Schroeder

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin