Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,589   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    No offense but, I think that the survey method is extrodinarily biased. There are too many additional effects that are not accounted for by the single variable "nationality".

For example...

What proportion of all web pages are maintained by people of each nationality? Might a web page maintainer tend to be biased toward photogrpahers of one's own nationality.

What is the nationality of the three most famous photographers. I'm gonna guess there are a whole lot more web pages that mention Ansel Adams, an american than any other photog - yet, he is only one famous photgrapher. So if there are 500 web pages that mention "Ansel Adams famous american photographer", then doesn't that count as 500 famous americans?

What proportion of all web servers in the world are located in the USA vs. say, New Zeland or Canada?

What proportion of web pages show up in more than one category. Consider a web page that lists a bunch of famous photogs and thier nationalities. What effect does that have on the survey? On the other hand, if one web page list 500 famous Austrailian photogrphers, that still only counts as one famous australian in the survey result.

What are the relative populations of the nations involved?
    etc....

In short, I'd say that the survey says more about the nature of the web and the google search engine than about the geo-political distribution of famous photographers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Daniels comments are so typically Canadian. And I don't mean that in a negative way either. Just because someone came from somewhere else they never consider themselves Canadians. They are always say, Chinese first, and then maybe Canadian. Whereas in the US once they get the green card they are "Americans". Period.

We in Canadian need a stronger self identity.

In Karsh's case however I think he truly loved his adopted home of Canada. Even though he retired in Boston to be close to a dear old friend.

We have Freeman Paterson, Courtney Milne and the guy who does outhouses. In Canada we don't have the marketing system in place to promote ourselves. It seems we have to get "famous" in the US before our own countrymen will take us seriously. This is truly a sad commentary on our national view of ourselves.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest that the only famous "American" photographer was Chief Clicking Bull. All of the rest are imports.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Just because someone came from somewhere else they never consider themselves Canadians. They are always say, Chinese first, and then maybe Canadian. Whereas in the US once they get the green card they are "Americans".
    I think the difference between Canada and the States is that in the States they view their country as a "great melting pot", while Canadians have adopted the concept of "multiculturalism". Down there you assimilate, up here you are encouraged to celebrate your families cultural heritage. I like that about us.

In regards to Canadians not recognising photography as a serious art form, what responsibility should the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography have in changing that? Do they only send out the occasional traveling exhibit? Is their mandate to mainly aquire images, or is it to encourage Canadians to become interested in what Canadian photographers have to say about ourselves and our environments? Way out here on the western edge the CMCP is completely invisible.

Craig Richards hasn't been mentioned yet, (beautiful prints...lousy web presence).

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Canadians don't care about being famous. It is an ego based endevour sought out by people with low self esteem.
    Same with New Zealanders .... clearly. However I'm sure there have been a few, well more than 1. Actually I thought that Anne Geddes was a NZer but it appears she's actually Australian (just married a kiwi). But i'm sure there were more than 1.
    Let's see ... Robin Morrison, Blake of course, Geoff Moon. There you go - three.
    Last edited by John McCallum; 03-12-2005 at 02:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Most "successes" in the "new world" - especially if we are talkign durin th elast century or so - are from elswhere originally.

Is Louis Kahn a great American Architect or a great Estonian architect?

Canadians - most have been mentioned

Lynne Cohen

Karsh

Jeff Wall

Geoffrey James

Robert Bourdeau,

Ed Burtynsky

Rodney Graham

etc

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would like to put forth Richard Harringtons name, 4 pages in the Family of Man, not to shabby for a local toronto boy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Craig Richards hasn't been mentioned yet, (beautiful prints...lousy web presence).
    Yeah, I was going to mention Craig. And yes, his web site *sucks* big time. I've tried to get him to get a better web site, but it's difficult to get him moving....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Images
    You Canadians making a list of photographers forgot about Freeman Patterson. Maybe not a GREAT photographer but I have yet to see anyone take a color photograph that looks as sublime and peaceful as his do.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Karsh

I feel that I really must point out a glaring omission here. It seems that almost everyone recognizes the name of Yosuf Karsh but nobody remembers his brother. Malak Karsh was every bit as important a figure in Canadian photography but never got the recognition that his brother did. If you visit Canada's capitol city, Ottawa, when you get off the aircraft and walk up the hallway to get your bags, the walls are lined with a large collection of Malak's work - pictures of many different Canadian cities and people doing lots of Canadian things like hockey, ice sculpture, festivals, farmingetc.. It is a wonderful glance of Canadian life in general and totally appropriate for the capitol. It has been a part of the airport for at least 20 years now - when they built the new terminal they moved that collection so that it would still serve the same funtion to arriving passengers ( I was very happy to see that) If you look closely at any one of those pictures you will notice that the signature is simply "Malak". I think that this was because he got so sick and tired of people saying to him things like: "Malak Karsh, hey... your not related to Yosuf Karsh are you ??" as I did once myself to my eternal regret.
    The picture of Ottawa that used to be on the back of the One dollar bill was taken by Malak as well, and to this day the coffee table books and collections of Canadiana type tourist books that are sold at all Canadian ports are mostly all his work. He illustrated what was great about this country and got very little recognition for it and his brother took pictures of famous people from every where else.

Tim R
    Last edited by Timothy; 03-18-2005 at 09:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin