Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,112   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Famous Canadian Photographers

The Famous Australian Photographers thread got me thinking...

Since I came home after art and photography schools 14 years ago until we got a hand-me-down computer 3 years ago, I have been totally out of touch with the goings on in the art world. Since then I have Googled up many strong photographers from all over the world, subscribed to LensWork and found APUG, so I'm trying to catch up.

While Canada does have an international reputation for animation and documentary films (at least from our perspective), there has never been a tradition of Canadians searching out and supporting Canadian fine art photographers...or any kind of home grown still photographers. The only photographer we have with a slam-dunk "world famous" reputation, Karsh, was Armenian and got famous by taking portraits of famous people from other countries who happened to be visiting Ottawa, our national capital.

To get a sense of where we Canadians are in the global photography scene, I did a Google search. Here are the results in descending order (remembering of course that our neighbour to the south outnumbers us 10x, and that some cultures are more likely to label themselves as famous compared to others)

"famous american photographer".............566
    "famous french photographer".................486
    "famous australian photographer."............193
    "famous dutch photographer"..................123
    "famous british photographer"..................122
    "famous canadian photographer"..............58
    "famous mexican photographer"................24
    "famous irish photographer".....................10
    "famous scottish photographer"................5
    "famous new zealand photographer"..........1 (famous kiwi gets....7)

Any thoughts?

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you think we Australians are more likely to label ourselves as famous compared with others?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No!

It was a way of admitting that in the world of surveys, a Google search has to be about the most simplistic.

Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    58?

I'd be hard pressed to name 2o "famous" Canadian photographers myself. Many of the better "Canadian" photographers are, in fact, not Canadian at all. i.e Karsh, like you say, was Armenian. Geoffrey James is British, Clara Gutsche, David Miller and Lynne Cohen are American, Gabor Szilasi is from Budapest etc...

Canadians? I can think of Jeff Wall, Robert Bourdeau, Edward Burtynsky, Gregory Colbert may not be the most famous of them (yet) but he is certainly the richest Canadian photrographer selling is work for up to $350,000 a print!

Who else?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Canadian Fame

What about the Notman team (father and son). They were both named William but the son had an initial (like William C. Notman) I can not remember exactly. But this is a perfect example of your point about how some cultures have a fame element and ours does not. The Notman studio in Montreal in the early part of last century was the most prolific and innovative source of photojournalism in the world. When junior grew up he was given a box-car and a commission by the CPR to travel across the country documenting the landscape and people that the railroad connected. His body of work was superb rivaling most of what Ansel Adams produced 50 years later. But to see any of this work, you have to dig in the archives of the National Library in Ottawa. That is just not right, but it sure is Canada.

Tim R

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.harrysproshop.com/Links/C...ographers.html

Hundreds of great Canadian photographers. Well according to the website.

Canadians don't care about being famous. It is an ego based endevour sought out by people with low self esteem.

How about that.

Michael

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    oh yeah - we Aussies have a low self esteem, alright ....

BTW, what does that mean again?
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Canadians don't care about being famous. It is an ego based endevour sought out by people with low self esteem.

How about that.

Michael
    Hehehe - sounds like something a person who was part of the Can-USA Hi-Tech brain drain would say ?

Part of the "definition" of "Canadian" is "low profile"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin