Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,418   Online: 1162

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Seems to me you've got a situation not unlike the anglo invasion of native north americans (aka "indians") in the US. If all non-indians were to leave the borders of the US right now, it's not as if all the historical indian nations would instantly flourish and return to their former stature.
    -KwM-
    There's a huge difference. Tibet was invaded and is now occupied. There are no Chinese "settlers" in Tibet. By far most of the Chinese there are either military or government functionaries of one kind or another. They are purposely destroying the Tibetan culture. Find an unbiased history and read it.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Seems to me you've got a situation not unlike the anglo invasion of native north americans (aka "indians") in the US. If all non-indians were to leave the borders of the US right now, it's not as if all the historical indian nations would instantly flourish and return to their former stature.
    This sort of specualtion shows up daily on the radio in Hawai'i -- plans to restore the monarchy, demote all non-blood-hawaiians to second class citizens (not booted out, but not permitted to own property either), etc. People actually take this seriously for some reason, ignoring all the realities of their own history (that the ali'i priveleged class married quickly into the european settlers to solidify their power base, for example). One can only imagine if the US pulled out of Hawai'i, the People's Republic of Maui would be launching scuds at Imperial Oahu and Big Island rebels inside of six months

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Lee, I never agreed with Mc Cluan (Sp?) that the medium was the message.
    Well, after years of resistance I have been dragged to the conclusion that the medium may be all that matters. And the ramifications are profound for APUGers. Here's the reasoning. By the Sixties everybody was shooting everything in terms of equipment. 35mm was long established, there had been a million Speed Graphics sold, and 6x6 had been owned by the Tessar since forever. But what images spring to mind when we think of the Sixties? Avedon. David Bailey. Diane Arbus. The common thread? The Planar-type lens married to a square format. Excepting Arbus, one could even make the case that it was the Hassy with the Planar. In other words, the Sixties, as we close our eyes and envision them, were created by the Planar-type lens. Avedon took pictures like he did because he could! Of course, the Planar/Hassy/Rollei concept was the cutting edge of technology for its day. The best photos of the day were created with the best technology of the day.

The ramifications? At APUG we are holding on to yesterday's best, unlike Avedon, Bailey and Arbus. I wager that the collectible superstars of the 2030's are shooting today on Leaf backs, or whatever is really the most technically advanced system of this day. Thirty years from now the stuff will look like nothing else. So, we will collect it.

Conclusion: the medium is the message!

(Just a 1:27 AM Sunday thought.)

jk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin