Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,504   Posts: 1,645,121   Online: 775

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worst mistakes

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Worst mistakes

This could be in the wrong forum (moderators feel free to move as I didn't know where to put it) But I’m sure we have all made stupid mistakes in our photography and for me lots in the darkroom, like exposing without removing the red filter from under the lens. But my worst was probably when I first got a Hasselblad and loaded the film the wrong way round. What have been your worst mistakes?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shooting film in the first place!
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never make mistakes. One time I thought I did. But I was wrong.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Worst mistakes

My first sheet of 4x5 was executed flawlessly. I metered carefully. I set the aperture and shutter speed properly. I cocked the lens, removed the dark slide, tripped the shutter and returned the dark slide. Never once did occur to me to look through the ground glass and actually focus. Mr. Blurry cam struck!
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    35mm
    The way I learned to make sure a 35mm camera was loaded properly is a good example. I had to cover an event at the culinary arts department when I was working for my college newspaper. Chefs-in-training were cooking, someone was doing an ice sculpture, and it was a big party. I shot more than 40 great photos! (Wow, I thought, I got extra shots!) Upon my return to the darkroom, I discovered that the film had not gone through the camera. At all. I ran back to the event, hoping to get something, but it was over. I did get the people leading the event to pose for a group shot, which ran, but it wasn't as good as the editorial/action photos I thought I'd taken.

Thankfully I figured this out before I became a photographer's assistant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think my biggest mistake was with 4x5 too. I had several times when I first started shooting LF where I would spend lots of time carefully shooting a scene, but would forget to flip the dark slide to denote I had exposed that sheet. Then I would end up reshooting the sheet by accident. Got some funky double exposures...doh!
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    my biggest mistake was opening up a coiled reflector and it unfurlled itself and smacked me in the face.
    the nervous subject laughed, and it broke the ice ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One time I innocently asked about disposal of used fixer on APUG....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Moved to Sacramento Ca for photography school and got the list of items to buy before first day. The 100 sheet box of 8x10 Ektalure K was intriguing so I opened it up to look at the paper. Only later reading the part about opening in dark only.

Thought my beloved Rolleiflex was seated properly in the Rolleiflix adapter but it wasn't, I turned around and it dropped 5 feet from the top of the tripod into the sand at the beach.

Thought I had put my other beloved Rolleiflex away after doing photography on the beach at an APUG gatering only to find out when I got back to town that I had left it on the hood of the car. The luggage rack held it.

Doing a full batch of client film in the dark and had a brain glitch and put the film in the developer and then 30 seconds later took it out and put it in the stop bath...

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sending my chromes to that lab...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin