Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,400   Posts: 1,683,432   Online: 955

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Inside the box thinking.....

I wanted to share this picture taken by an incredible photographer who died this month. His name was Darton Drake and he, like I started around the same time in film and moved over to digital in the mid 2000.

He was an amazing photographer and teacher and his work was always innovative.

I realize this is an analog site and this is a digital picture but this one time I wanted to share something unique and creative.

This picture was taken by sending someone a camera that attaches to their computer, in this case a couple of thousand miles from his home.

Then placing a Skype call to them, remotely directing them to a location in their home, directing them in what you want them to do.

Then from there, he takes a screen shot of the scene, from his home and produces this photograph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 389079_4044504844636_1858082305_n.jpg  
    Last edited by blansky; 04-28-2015 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good faith questions...

What do you think it is that attracts in this image? That makes it unique and creative? Is it the process and logistics? The final result? Or both, to some self-balancing degree? Or is it something else entirely?

Honestly curious, without wishing to spoil anything by interjecting my own thoughts.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    I wanted to share this picture taken by an incredible photographer who died this month. His name was Darton Drake and he, like me started around the same time in film and moved over to digital in the mid 2000.

He was an amazing photographer and teacher and his work was always innovative.

I realize this is an analog site and this is a digital picture but this one time I wanted to share something unique and creative.

This picture was taken by sending someone a camera that attaches to their computer, in this case a couple of thousand miles from his home.

Then placing a Skype call to them, remotely directing them to a location in their home, directing them in what you want them to do.

Then from there, he takes a screen shot of the scene, from his home and produces this photograph.
    the title says it ALL .. inside the box ( as in the box on the desk ).
    not sure when this photograph was made/taken but darton drake seems like he was always breaking ground.
    it is hard enough making a photograph with the camera in the hands of the photographer, and directing
    the subject and doing "the dance" ( as i think avedon called it ) until the collaboration is complete,
    but sending a camera so someone (or ones ) who might not have experience with it, and then remotely
    direct over the phone/skype and producing something that works is pretty interesting, different outside ( and inside ) the box.
    it reminds me of that episode of m*a*s*h when radar had to do an emergency tracheotomy with his lone ranger pen knife
    and a ball point pen while getting instructions over the crank phone from a dr on the other end.

i wonder what the photographer's "hit" ratio was, seeing every situation was completey different, lots of unknowns
    (lights, electricity, bad reception, people who didn't understand direction, or use of camera &c ) and an amazing thing when it all worked out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice lamps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Doesn't matter..

It's a great process and a beautiful shot. Very thought provoking.
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Nice image and concept, but how does he know what their home looks like? Is he familiar with their home, or is this an entirely random exploration of the environment of others?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Nice image and concept, but how does he know what their home looks like? Is he familiar with their home, or is this an entirely random exploration of the environment of others?
    I believe he has extensive consultation beforehand discussing the type of pictures and what is wanted by the subject. He must also scout the location either by the subject sending camera phone shots of the rooms as well as maybe walking around with a laptop and the mentioned camera and scouting that way.

My understand is that it's very pre planned.

There were also a number of other shots taken in different locations around the house and different "moods".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting story and photograph. Thanks for sharing it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Good faith questions...

What do you think it is that attracts in this image? That makes it unique and creative? Is it the process and logistics? The final result? Or both, to some self-balancing degree? Or is it something else entirely?

Honestly curious, without wishing to spoil anything by interjecting my own thoughts.

Ken
    I think the logistics are interesting because they allowed the photographer to extend his reach, but they are not part of the image which has to stand without the narrative. The scene is reminiscent of a Dutch domestic interior; I like that. What I don't like is that the image has processed with Photoshop/Instagram/... filters for the instant painting look. I thjink the image might have been even more effective without that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Good faith questions...

Ken
    The picture itself is what it is. A sort of interesting nude study with a voyeuristic mystery about it.

The voyeurism to me is enhanced by the fact that there is no one else in the room. Just a computer sitting looking back at her like they do. The voyeurism is rather fascinating because of the invited invasion of her privacy. She's alone yet not alone. It's not the same as setting up a camera yourself and taking nudes of yourself because she is being directed by a voice in her computer. In essence the computer is telling her to take off her clothes, place herself in whatever position it suggests and she does it. She may have never met the person on the other end of the line. And in a few weeks she receives a large print in the mail. A picture in fact she has never seen before. And it's her.

As for the process. That too is interesting from the photographer's point of view. Photographing someone he has never met or seen, and producing work for them, again, never having actually seen them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin