Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,158   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

The Heroine of Robert Doisneau

I found this photo on the news agency I get my pictures for the newspaper from and I thought it was cute.
    It reads:
    "Francoise Bornet, the heroine of the mythical photography 'The Kiss' by Robert Doisneau, holds the original print she has decided to separate from,Wednesday 06 April 2005. The photographer sent the photograph to her carrying his own seal on the back, in 1950, a few days after the shoot. This legendary photograph will be sold by Artcurial Briest Poulain Fur on next 25 April at Hotel Dassault, in Paris. It is estimated to be sold at between 15,000 and 20,000 Euro. EPA/CHAMUSSY/SIPA FRANCE OUT "

(the image has been scaled down and reduced in size)
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I found this photo on the news agency I get my pictures for the newspaper from and I thought it was cute.
    It reads:
    "Francoise Bornet, the heroine of the mythical photography 'The Kiss' by Robert Doisneau, holds the original print she has decided to separate from,Wednesday 06 April 2005. The photographer sent the photograph to her carrying his own seal on the back, in 1950, a few days after the shoot. This legendary photograph will be sold by Artcurial Briest Poulain Fur on next 25 April at Hotel Dassault, in Paris. It is estimated to be sold at between 15,000 and 20,000 Euro. EPA/CHAMUSSY/SIPA FRANCE OUT "

(the image has been scaled down and reduced in size)
    This is the same lady that dragged Doisneau to court 40 years after this photograph had been taken, because apparently Doisneau had not payed her for the shoot. During 40 years everyone in France knew this photograph. But suddenly she had a problem with the shoot (which was staged, and thus at the time she knew perfecty well what she did). All this happened not long before Doisneau's died.

Haven't you noticed the dollar signs in her eyes?

This "lady" makes me puke.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although the court records from the lawsuit probably have most of the details of whatever contract existed between them, Doisneau probably could have avoided the problem altogether had he chosen to previously share some small part of any profits (aside from fame) with her. Models often feel cheated when they do shoots "for free" and later find the photographer has profited nicely from an image. Photographers who do the "right thing" for their models, even when not contractually obligated to do so, profit even more through enhanced reputation, I think.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It's hard, for me at least, to come to any conclusions with out knowing what actually happened or was said between the parties from the very day the photograph was taken to later on. At least she is getting some money but had to wait 60 years. Maybe there is some justice there.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    It's hard, for me at least, to come to any conclusions with out knowing what actually happened or was said between the parties from the very day the photograph was taken to later on. At least she is getting some money but had to wait 60 years. Maybe there is some justice there.
    AFAIK the couple convened with the photographer that they got a print in return for their modeling. Which they did. So, Doisneau held his part of the deal. He has made hundreds of thousands of photographs in his life. Some were very succesfull, most weren't. Does the fact that this photograph has been published all over the world, give the models more rights than the ones convened at the shoot? Doisneau was a very very amiable man. Not a crook or a slick businessman at all.

This whole affair poses an important question. How can any photographer survive, when 40 years after a shoot models claim large amounts of money which were not convened in the initial contract, for every photograph that sells well?
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ha!
    That I did not know!
    If I did I wouldn't have bothered to even look at the photo...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gilbert,

I just reread the story in Koetzle´s "Photo Icons II". Denise and Jean-Louis Laverne sued Doisneau in 1988, they claimed to be that couple and asked for 160000DM compensation. Doisneau confessed that many of his pictures were staged, having used actors in that Life assignment - but that couple couldn´t proof to be the one on the image. The trial ended in favour of Doisneau.

Only then Cartaud and Bornet came out and sued him for 100000 Franc - Bornet had this signed print she received then in place of a payment. Doisneau was able to proof he had compensated the two sufficiently and their claim was put off, Doisneau hadn´t to pay them again.

The only loss was the "scent of truth" - he finally confirmed that all his pictures showing couples and lovers on the streets of Paris in 1950 were staged.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm

very interesting

This is an interesting thread. It points out the good sense of getting a model release. Of course that would not necessarily stop a lawsuit.

I do little work with models but I believe that the photographer should have an appreciation for the model's contribution.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I do little work with models but I believe that the photographer should have an appreciation for the model's contribution.
    I think that photographers DO have an appreciation for the contributions made by models... But for models to come back later and demand money because the photographer made some money from the image (when the photographer meti the original obligation for fees or prints...) is just in poor taste to me.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    15-20K is a mighty good return for storing that photograph for 50 yrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin