Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,430   Online: 1150

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paul Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Excuse I? Adams was a pictorialist??? Adams and the rest of Group f/64 were arch anti-pictorialists and roundly criticized for the fact, then and now...

Bob.
    Estelle Justim has said that Adams was a 19th Century artist who used 20th Century materials whereas Weston was just the reverse.

I'm not denigrating him. I'm just stating the facts, ma'am. Most of Adams' work is the most carefully crafted illustration work ever done. Some of it is a modernist aesthetic, but not much of it. The Group f/64 Manifesto notwisthanding, most of Adams' work is about the subject of the photograph, Clearing Winter Storm being a good case in point. It's about clouds over Yosemite Valley, not about form and spatial relationships.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see those Parmalian prints in person, don't pass it up. They're breathtaking.

Jim

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Once again,

I completely agree with you Jim.....and a very good Weston observation. If I had the computer skills I would display the Clearing winter storm Adams) side by side with Carlton's Entrance to Yosemite....

Now, If given a choice to own only one print in my personal collection and had to choose from Weston or Adams... not both, I personally would choose Weston's Pepper 1930.

I would also however, like a Carlton Watkins or another of the early pioneer photographers who so laboriously documented Yosemite and the west in the 1860's-1880's.

No one ever seems to mention Adams interrment documentary photographs?

Cheers
    Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Parmelian prints....yes Adams in later years pointed to 2 of them as a turning point in his career "artistic breaktrough" Monolith, and the Face of the Half Dome, - although 2 dimensional-planar-paper used then produced a flattened quality...refer to article mentioned above...

it was Weston who inspired "straight photography" razor sharp focus...lens close to subject....abstracted component parts...full tonal range...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    one more note....early in Weston's career....look to 1920 Nude...example on page 148 "Great Photographers" revised edition Time Life books....
    1. Submerged detail

2. Soft focus-very diffused

3. but emphasis on shape and shadow

Quote Originally Posted by rhphoto
    And it doesn't hurt that he was instrumental in getting some of the national parks established by virtue of the power of his nature images.
    which were the parks? I'm not aware of the history of some of the other parks, but the process for Yosemite to be "set aside" for the nation was started by Lincoln in part as a result of Muybridge and Watkins photographs. A but before Adams' time (even if he did use their tripod holes)

Along with Muir

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin