Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,699   Online: 842

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Strand

Paul Strand

Ansel Adams said he was impressed with Strand's negatives first time he saw them, and because of that he could improve his work. He didn't mention what this meant considering film/exposure/developer techniques. Does somebody have some info about it?
    Last edited by sergio caetano; 05-25-2005 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio caetano
    Ansel Adams said he was impressed with Strand's negatives first time he saw them, and because of that he could improve his work. He didn't mention what this meant considering film/exposure/developer techniques. Does somebody has some info about it?
    Adams first saw Strands negatives in Taos, New Mexico. I suspect that they talked very little about issues related to film/exposure/developer...
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Images
    I wondered about that myself until I looked a person's negs whom I was introduced too. There was more information in those negs I saw than I was ever getting. I finally understood what a properly exposed neg looked like. I think that is what he might have meant. Just guessing though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio caetano
    Ansel Adams said he was impressed with Strand's negatives first time he saw them, and because of that he could improve his work. He didn't mention what this meant considering film/exposure/developer techniques. Does somebody has some info about it?
    1. A developed awareness of abstract components. cubist

2, Adams was introduced to Weston in 1928-Weston introduced "straight Photography" as opposed to pictorialism. Modernist work, using the camera frame and razor sharp focus...it is interesting to view Adams work before 1928.

3. Adams met Strand in 1930-Adams was in Taos to work on Taos Pueblo and was visiting Mabel Dodge....Strand and Stieglitz since 1915 were promoting cubist principals to photography...Adams at this time was a virtual beginner on his second project with his patron Albert Bender who sponsored Adam's first portfolio "Parmalian Prints of the High Sierras" 1927

4. It was upon viewing Strands negatives in 1930 that Adams said "it was this experience that prompted him to cast off the fancy papers,soft focus, tw0-dimensional composition and grayer tonalities characteristic of Pictorialism and become a modern photographer.

5. Adams first show at Stieglitz "American Place" Oct 27-Nov 25 1936 was not representative of what he has become known for, pictures of wilderness mountains and sky....they were for the most part representations of buildings , fences, gravestones, ships, and city streets.

Pictures of culture rather than nature.

See magazine Art in America Jan 2005 page 63 for a must have in your file article "Adams and Stieglitz: A friendship bySandra S. Phillips senior curator of photography at the San Francisco Museum of modern Art.....I feel Sandra Phillips has a good handle on Adams place and contributions in history...the above are paraphrases from Sandra S. Phillips article...

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    4. It was upon viewing Strands negatives in 1930 that Adams said "it was this experience that prompted him to cast off the fancy papers,soft focus, tw0-dimensional composition and grayer tonalities characteristic of Pictorialism and become a modern photographer.
    Too bad he never did it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Too bad he never did it.
    What do you mean?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    What do you mean?
    I mean that it's too bad he never cast off Pictorialism to become a modernist photographer. Ansel Adams is to photography what Albert Bierstadt is to painting.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    c6h603 I would have to agree with that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    C6h603,

You and I are on the same page on this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is denigration of Ansel Adams a rite of passage to some higher plane of photographic existence? I'm a mere mortal & continue to admire him for his work, what he accomplished given the state of the craft, and his commitment to the environment. The level of work of Strand, Minor White, the Westons and Adams are still far beyond my grasp.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin