Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,245   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

So, where are Weston and Adams buried?

More of an idle question, but could be interesting. I can't seem to find references to such.

I found Modotti was buried in Mexico City.

Anyone?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Interesting question.
    I don't have a direct answer but I can share my opinion. Ansel died April 22, 1984 around mid to late afternoon. I seem to remember 3:15 but I may be mistaken about the time. The date I remember very well for it is the same date and time that my father also passed away. I had the opportunity to attend an Ansel workshop and I found him to be an interesting person. I had respect for him because he believed in what he stood for, he had convection. I may not have agreed with him on all points but I respected him. My father was the same way. Strong convection in what he believed and at times my father and I were at odds.

As to where Ansel is buried, I attended a John Sexton workshop that October and this very question came up. John's answer, "He's in the Final Wash"!
    Take that how ever you want, but my suspicion is he was cremated and his ashes were spread over Yosemite.

Makes for a "Happy Ending"

Gary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As far as Adams - I think his ashes were scattered on or around Mt. Adams in the Sierras, named in his honor (the mountain, not the ashes).

Weston was cremated, and his sons scattered the ashes on the beach - presumably in Carmel, and watched the Pacific take them away (the ashes, not the sons).

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    His convections (current) took him away, eh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember watching a PBS documentary on Adams, at the end they said his ashes were spread over the Sierras by the Sierra club.
    -Grant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well, that would make it difficult to visit grave sites.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will have my ashes scattered in someones darkroom...then I will be annoying even after my death.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an idea: make an annual routine out of updating your self-portrait, then whenever you die, leave instructions as to how your ashes can be combined with an emulsion and coated on paper and made into a large print of one of your self-portraits, so you can 'hang around' in a gallery somewhere.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For Adams dont recall just where, but have read that his ashes were scattered - as mentioned - were scattered in his beloved Sierras, but I though by his son, could be wrong though.

Weston, don't have a clue...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Here's an idea: make an annual routine out of updating your self-portrait, then whenever you die, leave instructions as to how your ashes can be combined with an emulsion and coated on paper and made into a large print of one of your self-portraits, so you can 'hang around' in a gallery somewhere.

-KwM-
    Could use them as a pigment for Gum Bichromate. It would work, theoretically...

If someone wants to pay his/her respects to someone important, I would suggest Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris. You can find Felix Tournachon (Nadar), Sarah Bernhardt, Edith Piaf, Modigliani, Gioacchino Rossini, Oscar Wilde and many others. Some visit Jim Morrison's spot too, although I have heard he moved (to an unknown spot)... My favourite was Frederic Chopin (you'll always see some fresh flowers there). I am not sure whether people like Atget, Doisneau or Bresson are buried there... it's so big that you would need 5 days to get to read all the names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin