Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,029   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ever heard of this guy... Juan Rulfo ??

Has anyone ever heard of this guy? I've been lucky enough to have "discovered" his work while here in Oaxaca. I bought a book first and then went to the Manual Alvarez Bravo Photo Center on Friday night to see a show of his work. Pretty amazing stuff.

Check this link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Juan Rulfo is a LatinAmerican writer. Best known book is Pedro Páramo, a novel that rivals in both, subject matter and writing style, with García Márquez and some of the earlier Vargas Llosa novels. I didn´t know he was a photographer. If his images are like his books, they should look similar to Alvarez Bravo´s rural scenes.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a copy of "El Llano en Llamas" somewhere around here. Sorta some sad stories to read, but very beautiful all the same.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Juan Rulfo was "The Writer" in Mexico in the sixties and seventies, he is been translated to 52 languages. One of the most characteristic things of his work is that he published a novel, a collection of short stories and two screenplays, that's all. Recently the heirs of his copyrights, aka his sons, decided to publish "everything" he did, that includes almost a thousand of his 6x6 negatives he took out of a Rolleiflex camera in his travels around the country.

My personal opinion is, he was the greatest of the authors of the "magic realism" writers in spanish, if the comparation is valid, the William Faulkner of Latin America. His photographic work is great, but the books and the prints you can see is product of the great job of what curators, editors and heirs did trying to convert a great writer in a good photographer. Anyway, you can see his genius in his photos, but he made it a lot better in literature.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I picked up two photo books and two copies of Pedro Páramo. I have not read it yet. I am saving it for later this summer when I am craving Mexico.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    O.K. I´ve read some of his books and short stories. How are his photos ? José made it sound like Rulfo is another Lewis Carroll - as a photographer he was really a good writer. But if his images are half as evocative as his writings ...ándale no mas ...
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Juan Rulfo was a writer... I had to read Pedro Paramo when in high-school

Was he a photographer as well???? are those pix any good?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Juan Rulfo was a writer... I had to read Pedro Paramo when in high-school

Was he a photographer as well???? are those pix any good?
    An aside, two of my favorite writers of place, Barry H. Lopez and William Least Heat Moon were photographers early in their carreers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rulfo is the writer of the story. Josephine Sacabo is the photographer whose work you are admiring in Pedro Paramo.

http://josephinesacabo.com/paramo.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess in the late 19th and early/mid 20th centuries writers, poets, painters, used photography as a tool/hobby.
    Nifty medium for documentation/creativity

I remembe Degas pictures of the dancers that later became his paintings.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin