Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,072   Online: 938

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who are the current and future masters?

I was going through one of my Andre Kertesz books and began to think about all the fabulous phtographers who have passed in the last several years. Kertesz, Avedon, Penn, Bravo, Capa, Eisenstadt, Bresson are the ones that come quickly to mind.

Who is still out there, and who are the ones that you consider will be thought of in the same category as the above and the others greats (Weston, Strand, Evans, Adams, E. Smith etc).

Two that come to mind that might enter the pantheon (IMHO) are Ralph Gibson and Salgado. Possibly Michael Kenna. I think their work has tremendous impact beyond beauty and documentation.

I would like to hear others opinions and candidates.
    Last edited by Sean; 06-22-2005 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sebastiao for sure!!!!!!

Good question! Being a 1000 mile drive from Canada's Calgary or Vancouver and not being interested in the "cheesy sunset" or "moistened model in sunset light" on the front cover of the reduced-to-the-lowest-common-denomenator photography magazines, I'm a tad out of the loop when it comes to emerging (and current) masters.

I hope to be awakened.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    who are the ones that you consider will be thought of in the same category as the above and the others greats (Weston, Strand, Evans, Adams, E. Smith etc).
    Me

Hey, aim big, right?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of this comes down to hero worship. I don't look up or at others in that way. I look at other photographers to help me understand how the thing can be used. At the end of the day, when I'm coasting or done, I may stop and consider how this person or that person really was the shit.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Some of this comes down to hero worship. I don't look up or at others in that way. I look at other photographers to help me understand how the thing can be used. At the end of the day, when I'm coasting or done, I may stop and consider how this person or that person really was the shit.
    Good point...but being isolated as I am, it would be nice to know what is going on in the world.

Like Picasso said, "good artists borrow, great artists steal"...he wouldn't have *discovered* cubism without seeing West African ceremonial masks. Maybe somebodies previous experiments will catapult your work to unforeseen heights if you open yourself to outside influences?

Having said that, nobody has changed my way of seeing...but that's open for interpretation. (Ya ya ya...nothing in the APUG galleries...hand me down computer...no scanner...etc...)

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Me

Hey, aim big, right?
    Knock yourself out, Jeremy!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He's not really working anymore -- certainly not doing what he used to do although I think he shoots landscapes now -- but I think Don McCullin ought to be regarded as one of the all time greats.

His war photography through the 60s and early 70s is incredible -- not just for the subject matter but also for the sheer technical beauty of the images themselves.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For street photography I like Eugene Richards work. A lot of his work has an edge that appeals to me. He is no spring chicken and would guess he is somewhere in his late 50's.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    35mm
    Look for great things from Jorge. Remeber, you heard it first on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul Caponigro, Flor Gardu˝o, Jerry Uelsmann to name a few. To me, the true masters were defined by their ability to make images I will never forget.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin