Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,801   Online: 1067

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Dan Smith, Photographer

Many weeks ago Dan Smith offered for sale on this site a copy of Willian Mortensen's book, Mortensen on the Negative. Having long been interested in acquiring a copy of this book I immediately responded and bought it from Dan. However, because of travels out west this summer I was not able to return to South Carolina until late last week, and Dan delayed mailing the book until my return.

Well, today I received and opened a package from Dan, which included not only the book (in great shape and which I plan to read with great attention over the next sseveral day), but also a beautiful Pt./Pd. print entitled Trevas Porch. Although I had seen this image before in reproduction, the tactile beauty of it as a real Pt./Pd. image rather took my breath away, and immediately reminded me why many of us appreciate and place so much value on the hand-crafted print.

In a note accompanying the book and print Dan thanked me for coming up with the Pyrocat-HD developer, which he used in developing the negative that gave the print Trevas Porch. OK, but it is I who must think Dan for extraordinary artistic use of the formula, and I can not think of anything I did in developing the formula that is more meaningful than this beautiful image.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya know, I'm constantly amazed at the outright generosity of photographers; The way they are always willing to help, passing on their knowledge or loan a piece of equipment to someone in need.

Thanks for sharing your story, Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that image, Dan posted it here in the gallery...would have to agree with Sandy, anything that looks that good on a screen has to be really nice in person.

Kudos' to Dan for his thoughtful act, and to Sandy for sharing.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Remember that image, Dan posted it here in the gallery...
    I'd like to take a look at that, do you know Dan's APUG login name?
    (I tried all the permutations of 'Dan Smith' that I could think of.)

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can see his gallery here: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgall...00&ppuser=2339

I have one of Dan's prints (the lamp) and refer to it often for inspiration.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I did a trade several years ago with Dan and I got 2 lovely images out of the deal. He was screwed in my opinion. I met him in the Salt Lake City area a couple of times and always enjoyed his company too.

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin