Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,323   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Berenice Abbott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    She was very much a complete photographer. Advocate for Atget, teacher, architecture, protraiture, still, and science photography. Very much in the same class as Andreas Feininger whose work was very wide ranging. She was more about documentation than art and from what I gather from an old (80s) interview in American Photographer she could be difficult to work with. Uncompromising seems to be a good word to use to describe her, which probably did not endear her to a male dominated publishing industry during most of her career.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm

For something completely different ...

See her self-portrait in The Camera I.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have only seen a few of her pictures, which I did like. Her prints of Atget's negatives seem disappointing though (although I have only seen them in reproduction) - too contrasty as she insisted on using silver gelatine paper when the negs are too contrasty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin