Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,759   Online: 1142

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you seen the platinum photography of [color=#800080]Gary Auerbach[/color] ? Particularly worth looking at the Native American gallery.

Although [color=#800080]Colin Prior[/color] is probably best known for his calendar type landscape photography, he also has a real passion for a portfolio he completed on 15 different indigenous groups around the world. If you ever have the opportunity to see a part or the whole of this work, I don't think you would come away from it unmoved.
    The first time I met him, he spoke very candidly about how difficult it is 'making it' in the world of landscape photography and was pretty good at reining in any false illusions I might have had. Quite useful.

[color=#800080]Geoff Moon[/color] is a retired doctor of veterinary medicine here. He has been photographing more than 75 yrs and has authored many books on his interest in native NZ birds. He is still very active and passionate about his photography at 93 yrs. Just a few weeks ago showed me a print that he made in a temporary darkroom in 1928. It was still exquisite.

Although not photographing similar subject matters to mine and neither have particularly inspired direction my own photography, both Geoff and Colin have been quite influential in other ways.
    Last edited by John McCallum; 07-28-2005 at 08:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    Those photographers who influence me, influence those who appreciate my photography. I am no one without them. Nobody is born with a photographic sense. We all look somewhere, eventually. So many unfamous people are responsible for great work in the collective unknown.
    Huh?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Knud Knudsen, who was one of the early Norwegian photographers. Famous for his "postcard" pictures of western Norway, less known is his landscape abstracts.

BTW, http://www.ub.uib.no/knudsenbilder/s...e.asp?ID=32948 is what it looked like in Loen in the 1870's. This is where we'll have the gathering
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Knud Knudsen, who was one of the early Norwegian photographers. Famous for his "postcard" pictures of western Norway, less known is his landscape abstracts.

BTW, http://www.ub.uib.no/knudsenbilder/s...e.asp?ID=32948 is what it looked like in Loen in the 1870's. This is where we'll have the gathering
    Gee, how many Knud Knudsens are there in the world. (Okay, I live in an American/Norvegan enclave.)

So that's were the gather is! Has it changed since Knudsen's time? (Alright. It's 3:10AM and I'm dizzy tired.)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    So that's were the gather is! Has it changed since Knudsen's time? (Alright. It's 3:10AM and I'm dizzy tired.)
    Hasn't changed much, no... A piece of one of the mountains fell down (well - three pieces: One in 1905, one in 1936 and the largest one in 1954), and modern films are a bit better than Knudsen's wet plates. That's about it.

Oh yes - they've got a road running in there now!
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee, I was just kidding, Ole, but now that I think (for a change), your part of the world is quite new compared to mine which is all worn down already.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think much has changed since the first of my family settled there about 2000 years ago.... Except the mountains trying to get down the valley to fill in the fjords, of course
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boris Spremo from the Toronto Star. I met him in grade 9 during some kind of career exposition to let us youngsters see what kinds of existing jobs there are out in the real world and how 'school' helps to get that job.

This guy's been everywhere. War zones, crashes, riots, etc...and I remember my adreneline rising hearing all the stuff he's been through to get a picture. I thought that was cool.

Art Ketchum changed my direction in photography. After shooting street scenes, documentary/photojournalism type pics and frankly getting bored and in a lull, Art taught me lighting and posing. Together with Stan Malinowski, they introduced me to the world of fashion and glamour photography.

What I like about these guys is how unpretentious they are. They're just down to earth guys taking pictures for a living. Pretty cool.

Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 07-29-2005 at 08:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    For me Don Dunsmore at Fanshawe College in the 70's , he was the first teacher that ever believed in me and gave me the confidence to barely pass first year and move on into 2nd year.
    When I graduated , I apprenticed with Slobodan Filipovitch in Hamilton Ontario, and even though I eventually hated working for him as he was a very demanding boss, now I understand he created a work ethic that I still apply today. Probably the three hardest years in photography for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Frank Espada was a big influence on me when I was first learning to make fine prints in the darkroom (1988-ish). Frank is an extremely talented documentary photographer and his prints are amazing. He worked with Eugene Smith in his younger days. He is also a wonderful teacher who has touched the lives of many photographers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin