Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,916   Online: 982

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Little Known, but Influential Photographers

The recent thread on Berenice Abbott got me to thinking about other little known, but otherwise influential photographers.

One little known photographer that has influenced me is Australian photographer Peter Dombrovskis, from the island state of Tasmania. His work has saved a number of wild areas in Tasmania from overdevelopment and his images have opened up a way of looking at wilderness that a lot of people never thought of. Sadly, Peter passed away in 1996 at age 51.

Are there any photographers you would like to mention here? If possible please post a web link so we can all view the images.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sure there are many out there doing many good things. It would be nice if there was a way to recognize all of them and how signifigant photography can be.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Are there any photographers you would like to mention here? If possible please post a web link so we can all view the images.
    Maybe not a photographer per se, but rather a type of photography dating from the turn of the 20th century. Sample can be seen here and a whole collection one level up in the directory here. Most of these photographs have been made by rather anonymous photogs.

We've always found this kind of photography very intruiging. For a number of reasons. We are not necessarily believers (more tending to the contrary), but the obvious trucage is charming, sometimes well done, sometimes very clumsy. There is book published by some English society explaining in great detail how the 'extras' in the photos were achieved - so inadvertently it is a great sourcebook for those who want to recreate this technique and effect.

This type of photography has in fact had major impact on early 20th C artists, although you hear little about it. Another unknown fact is that a paranormal photograph of Point Carré has been painted by Francis Bacon in one of his tryptichs - although we suspect there are only a handful of people who know this. Could go on for a while, but better let you go on and enjoy the show.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Herbert W. Gleason, photographer in Concord, Massachusetts

Documented many of the places Thoreau mentioned in his journals. If you are a Thoreau fan, you should definitely investigate this photographer.

Much information can be found at:

http://www.concordnet.org/library/sc...ason/Text.html

or go to images.google.com and search for "Herbert W. Gleason"
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Another one: George Shiras

I recommend his hard to find book "Hunting Wildlife With Camera and Flashlight" - parts of it are hilarious. (Like the burnt remains of his canoe after he ignited it thanks to a flash powder accident.) It was later published by the National Geographic in the 1900's. I believe he won a gold medal at an early exposition in Paris (1905?) with his photograph of deer in the wild. He "jack-lighted" using a large format camera and a lot of flash powder, so the pictures look washed out. But he created excitement with pictures of wild life in their natural setting....

I believe he invented the synchronized flash (relying on my uncertain memory
    for this).
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn
    Herbert W. Gleason, photographer in Concord, Massachusetts

Documented many of the places Thoreau mentioned in his journals. If you are a Thoreau fan, you should definitely investigate this photographer.

Much information can be found at:

http://www.concordnet.org/library/sc...ason/Text.html

or go to images.google.com and search for "Herbert W. Gleason"
    Always liked hand-colored photos - these are particularly nice. Bet they're even better in real life. Bill, thanks for sharing that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few of my favs would be ..Ernest Knee , Myron Wood and one of my favorites Laura Gilpin
    there are of course more...these are some that come to mind right away.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those photographers who influence me, influence those who appreciate my photography. I am no one without them. Nobody is born with a photographic sense. We all look somewhere, eventually. So many unfamous people are responsible for great work in the collective unknown.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hulihen Williams Moore is one of my favorites. Most of his work is done here in Virginia in the mountains.
    http://www.hullihenmoorephotography.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin