Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,862   Online: 1023

Shooter
    Large Format

Sebastiao Salgado

Interesting article at Reuters on Salgado's new direction.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice article, though not very in-depth. I never knew his age, let alone have I seen how he looks... Figured he was younger than he is. But who cares? Some pictures he's made are amazing and an inspiration whenever I see them. That's what matters to me.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was lucky enough to see an extensive exhibition of his work at the mid-town ICP a couple of years ago. His photographs are amazing...his ability to be at one with his subject and to be aware of and in control of compositional elements as well is stunning. I believe he worked with a Leica on the bulk of the images I saw; I wonder if he has chosen a different kind of tool for this project. I look forward to seeing the results someday.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the photo in the article, it looks like a Canon or Nikon in his hands, although one maybe two Leicas are slung over his shoulder. He certainly seems to favor the quite wide lenses... Love his photos. I had no idea he got the shots of Reagan getting shot.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He has, I believe he's using a Pentax 6x7 for this "Genesis" project. There was an article in the New Yorker about it sometime last spring, maybe late April or early May.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    He has, I believe he's using a Pentax 6x7 for this "Genesis" project. There was an article in the New Yorker about it sometime last spring, maybe late April or early May.
    It's the Pentax 645, not the big 6x7, that he's using instead of his Leicas.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I believe he's been using a Mamiya 7, though that sure in an SLR. Maybe one of his usual Leica R's?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Gim

I believe...back in the old'n days when he was bulk rolling tri-x and before he made a name for himself he was using Nikons. After he became marketable Leica stepped in, probably with an offer he could not refuse. His pictures certainly carry his signature and I doubt very much that he cares what camera he uses. He does not consider his pictures "fine art" but a means to express whats important to him in this world. And he is doing a very good job.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gim
    I believe...back in the old'n days when he was bulk rolling tri-x and before he made a name for himself he was using Nikons. After he became marketable Leica stepped in, probably with an offer he could not refuse. His pictures certainly carry his signature and I doubt very much that he cares what camera he uses. He does not consider his pictures "fine art" but a means to express whats important to him in this world. And he is doing a very good job.

Jim
    Institute Terra certainly sells is work in fine art circles, he appears at fine art events. He has certainly attracted money from Leica and Kodak for his advocacy of Leica and Tri-X

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin