Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,055   Online: 946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Sebastiao Salgado Technique

I know Salgado uses Leicas primarily, and I know he uses Tri-x alot. I also heard that he develops with D76. What I don't understand is how he gets his images to look like that. It looks like there is so much burning and dodging, but I am not sure. Also, he has a huge spectrum of grays, just like the classics. Everytime I try this, I can never get it right. It is always too light or too contrasty... eliminating the wide spectrum of grays, and thus eliminating the classic look I'm trying to achieve. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He works with one of the best printers in France!
    His name is Dominique Granier.
    Philippe Bachelier takes care of the negative developing.

http://www.philippebachelier.com/

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking at his prints, I'd lay my money on his using Rodinal. I have never seen the Tri-X/D-76 combination give the sharpness and acutance that his prints exhibit. And Juba is correct, he has a fantastic printer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    Looking at his prints, I'd lay my money on his using Rodinal.
    He`s using ADOX ATM 49 for 220 TXP at 1:1.
    Tri-X in rodinal for 35mm can`t produce such grainless images, IMHO.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Juba,

Is that speculation or actual information you have?

Curious as I have ATM49 at home and love the results I get from it with medium and fast speed films. Classic Pan 200 and Fuji Neopan 400 are particularly fine. So it would make sense to use it for TXP.

Never tried Tri-X or Tri-X Pro with it, though.

Thanks,

Matt

Images
    Holy crap, that philippe guy can print.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Juba]He`s using ADOX ATM 49 for 220 TXP at 1:1.
    Tri-X in rodinal for 35mm can`t produce such grainless images, IMHO.

So, when you say 220 TXP, u mean he is shooting tri-x pro rated at 220 instead of 400?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After I posted the reply to Juba I googled and found a thread on Photo.net where Selgado's developer explicitly states he uses ATM49 (aka Calbe A49) and Tri-X Pro.

Tri-X Pro (the 320 ASA one) comes in 220 film format. I don't think it comes as 35mm. So I assume that's what he meant.

Shooter
    35mm
    yea, but if i was to shoot 35mm, then how big would the difference be between Tri-x Pro at 220, and Tri-x regular at 35mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan
    I googled and found a thread on Photo.net where Selgado's developer explicitly states he uses ATM49 (aka Calbe A49)
    Calbe A49 at one time was the same as Atomal and used Atomal, catechol, and hydroquine. In its current reincarnation it uses hydroquinone and diethyl-p-phenylenediamine sulfate (which is one of the older color developing agents and a relative of paraphenylenediamine which was used extensively during the 30's and 40's in fine grain developers). This, along with the 120 size film, would account for the fine grain images.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin