Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,321   Online: 923

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Arbus article in October "Art in America"

The current issue of Art in America has an extensive article about Diane Arbus. For those not interested in shelling out the funds for the current biography this gives good insight and background for the price of a couple cups of coffee. This article differs from the previous article in B&W Magazine as the former approached her from a purely photography standpoint and the Art in America article is more from a "modern" artist standpoint.

Personally I alternate between disgust and fascination with her work (which elevates it above a lot of art) and either way she has influenced many contemporary artists of all media besides photographers.

If you are at all interested in the history of photography and modern art in general it is a good article to check out.

Here is a link to a previous post discussing her work and the current media attention:http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=arbus
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim,,,

Ever read at Jill Sexton's poetry-guess they were good friends. Both a bit shaky emotionally...but I guess we are all at times..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm very ambivalent towards her. Saw a large volume of her work last year at the L.A. Museum of Art. The usual "good stuff" was there, but so were a number of out-of-focus, fuzzy, and poorly exposed and printed photos. Her body of work is inconsistent; from very good to very bad.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin