Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,393   Online: 1085

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

midwestlargeformat.com

I stumbled upon this site. I didn't know where to post this i just thought maybe someone could let them know about apug and the gatherings of midwest members.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    William,

Many of the Midwest guys are already memebers of this website.

Dave

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Is the group alive and well? There is an outings page. Year 2004 has several events. Year 2005 is blank. Are there members in APUG that can tell us more about the group?

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Midwest Large Format Asylum is still active. Earlier this month, there was a get-together in Indianapolis, Indiana to see the Edward Weston exhibit at the Eiteljorg Museum. Folks then went shooting around downtown Indy or out to Shades State Park west of the city. There is also a forum at www.deepthought.com/smf/index.php where potential outings are organized. Some of the members are active here on APUG. I've enjoyed meeting fellow photographers in the area and look forward to more opportunities in the future.

All the best,
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only been to one local outing but did participate in a nice print exchange last year. Some of the people seem to be into the digital darkroom. Most of the action is on the forum and they also have a mailing list.
    Chuck Pere

fwp

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Is the group alive and well? There is an outings page. Year 2004 has several events. Year 2005 is blank. Are there members in APUG that can tell us more about the group?

John Powers
    While the "formal" outings have slowed down the group is alive and well.

The group was formed a number of years ago with a post to the large format usenet group asking if there was anyone in the northern indiana area that was involved in LF and was interested in going out shooting. A number of people expressed an interest and our first group outing was planned. Not to long after that a mailing list was setup and since then a website and web based forum.

For a while we had monthly outings on the third saturday of each month. Unfortunately the work to find locations, plan and in general organise the outings fell on the shoulders of only a couple of people and with time the work became to much. We are looking for people to fill that role if you're interested. :-)

The structure of the group has always ranged from very loose to non-existent. We have no rules that anyone knows of, no dues and no membership list. There's more information on our website about the group. Including how to join our mailing list, how to join our forum and how we got the name "asylum". Access to the forum is required to keep the spammers out.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fwp

For a while we had monthly outings on the third saturday of each month. Unfortunately the work to find locations, plan and in general organise the outings fell on the shoulders of only a couple of people and with time the work became to much. We are looking for people to fill that role if you're interested. :-)
    Thank you. I have already joined the group. I think I was about member 65 or 67 or so of the current 75. I made the following offer about outings but there has been no response.

"Other possible waterfall locations within the Midwest are in the Cuyahoga National Park:
    http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/bluehen.shtml
    http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls...milkCUVA.shtml
    http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/brandywine.shtml

You could fit all of these in a five mile circle that would include the Ohio Turnpike exit at Rt 77 between Cleveland and Akron and our house. If a group wants to come here I would be happy to help organize and find accommodations. My 10x13 foot B&W darkroom would be available for any emergency needs that would require opening a loaded camera. If warm enough we could have a cook out in our back yard. If not there are hotels galore.

However if photographing waterfalls is the goal you must plan a trip to Brevard in Transylvania County in the mountains of NC. They claim 200+ waterfalls in one county. We stopped for a few days on the way to visit the kids in Chapel Hill last summer. It is spectacular, some waterfalls by the roadside, most requiring easy or hard hikes, one just outside the county with a 404 foot fall. http://www.visitwaterfalls.com/map.php

“You all come”
    John Powers"

fwp

Shooter
    Large Format
    John,

Don't be discouraged by the lack of a response. Since the forum is new there aren't many examples of reactions that have occured on the mailing list. A couple of typical reactions are that someone makes a suggestion and there is a flurry of responses with large numbers of people interested in going. When the time comes to actually go one, two or in some cases no people show up. Other times there is no reaction at the time and a few months later the location is choosen for an outing and ten (a large number for our group) show up. Another thing to consider is that most of the "active" members of the group are in the Chicago and Wisconsin. In the era of $3 a gallon gas it's going to be a tough sell.

It does look like the best time for those water falls would be late spring when there are leaves on the trees.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin