Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,783   Online: 854

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ah Yes, just went through my notes and you are absolutely correct.....

Now gentlemen, a toast for the thirst that is yet to come!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    You do not have any pictures in your gallery, so it is hard to judge your talent. But, right off the bat I think your approach is somewhat unprofessional and not well thought out. Is your work that good that you expect galleries to trip over themselves to get you to exhibit with them?

What is your background? How many exhibitions have you had? How many museum shows have you had? What sets your photography apart from the million other photographers who are doing good work and like you are trying to break into the gallery market? Have you been published? if so, in what magazines? Are you doing a long term project? What is the intention of your photography? Most important, why should anybody buy your prints?

Answer all these questions, put in paper, contact the galleries and ask about their submission guidelines and follow them.

Frankly, and I am sorry to be so blunt, your question either shows incredible naivety or laziness.....
    I keep thinking about this post. It is a bit harsh (museum shows?), but it raises some salient points about motivation.
    Do you think cameras are cool? Have you seen photographs you like and want to do some just like them?
    Or can you simply not live another moment of your life without anticipating your next chance to turn camera on subject? If this is it, you might spend your life photographing even if you never sell a print.
    But who wants to work in a vacuum? Everyone wants recognition for their efforts, and constructive criticism when warranted. You have to figure out where you are in the process of becoming a photographer. How long have you been at it? How many classes/workshops have you had? Have you created a strong, coherent portfolio of images you're not afraid to share with anyone?
    When I first read your post, I presumed that you've reached the portfilio stage. If so, then the advice I gave is, I think, valid. And of course get one of the guides on how to build an art career. (Some of these are better than others, but none I've seen address issues of time and money. I've never had enough of either, but I still keep working.) And post some images. We want to see what you're doing. Again, good luck. Dean

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Yes, that's a good choice. Although my favorite is Lagavulin.
    Mine is Glennmorangie..... but heck, anything is better than Johnny Walker..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    I keep thinking about this post. It is a bit harsh (museum shows?), but it raises some salient points about motivation.
    Do you think cameras are cool? Have you seen photographs you like and want to do some just like them?
    Or can you simply not live another moment of your life without anticipating your next chance to turn camera on subject? If this is it, you might spend your life photographing even if you never sell a print.
    But who wants to work in a vacuum? Everyone wants recognition for their efforts, and constructive criticism when warranted. You have to figure out where you are in the process of becoming a photographer. How long have you been at it? How many classes/workshops have you had? Have you created a strong, coherent portfolio of images you're not afraid to share with anyone?
    When I first read your post, I presumed that you've reached the portfilio stage. If so, then the advice I gave is, I think, valid. And of course get one of the guides on how to build an art career. (Some of these are better than others, but none I've seen address issues of time and money. I've never had enough of either, but I still keep working.) And post some images. We want to see what you're doing. Again, good luck. Dean

Anybody that beleives that they can just drop a CD on the desk and walk away either has some outstanding photography or has not done their homework.

Early made a very good point, which I also picked up. It seems he has a disfavorable views of galleries, put all this together and the questions pile up.

As to museum shows, you will never know if you can get them if you dont try. Now, you have to be realistic, if you contact MOMA and ask them what do you need to do to get an exhibition you better have a kick ass resume. OTOH there are many small regional museums who can be very good and are more willing to give you a shot. It is what I did here in Mexico and has worked for me.

The difference is that I have made a plan and have followed it, I did not just drop CDs and went home to sit and wait for the deluge of calls...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dean, I purposely was a bit harsh because I wanted to drive a point. It seemed to me that his approach was somewhat lakadeisical and lacked focus.

Anybody that beleives that they can just drop a CD on the desk and walk away either has some outstanding photography or has not done their homework.

Early made a very good point, which I also picked up. It seems he has a disfavorable views of galleries, put all this together and the questions pile up.

As to museum shows, you will never know if you can get them if you dont try. Now, you have to be realistic, if you contact MOMA and ask them what do you need to do to get an exhibition you better have a kick ass resume. OTOH there are many small regional museums who can be very good and are more willing to give you a shot. It is what I did here in Mexico and has worked for me.

The difference is that I have made a plan and have followed it, I did not just drop CDs and went home to sit and wait for the deluge of calls...

I agree with Jorge on this,

If you want to be represented by a Galley, just dropping a CD or even a portfolio off at the front desk is going to get you Absolutely no where, it takes a lot of hard work to be displayed in a Galley, and using the tacked of Here I am and heres what I have, and now I will wait for your call, does not work at all. You need to develop that relationship and find out what they want, not what you want.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorge and Dave: I agree with both of you; you're going to get nowhere by dropping off a CD at a gallery, or cards, and waiting for someone to call you. That's why I made the suggestions I did and asked the questions I did.
    I don't think it's laziness as much as a problem with just not knowing how to get started. And at least the man has the you-know-whats to start asking how.
    I spent about three years going to openings, entering competitions, etc, before I got ANYWHERE. And that was after making photographs for a number of years. It was all very, very confusing, and I'm sure I made myself look like a fool more than once. But you've got to start trying sometime. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is Glennmorangie..... but heck, anything is better than Johnny Walker..
    Does anyone want to start a thread on scotches?
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Boy that thread could go on for many moons...

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, Johnny Walker Blue ain't bad. Just too expensive. Bowmore Islay malt goes around here for under $25. Can't beat that.
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Large Format
    We dont need a thread, we need a whole subforum.....maybe under chemicals...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin