Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,959   Online: 949

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

the gallery system

I recently attended a show in new york city where I dropped postcards with my name and photography on it. I'm not very web savvy so I also dropped a CD with high resolution images on them. I have yet to get a call back from any of the galleries...how does one break into this elitist gallery system that exists?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luck and skill to begin with, also the stuff you dropped off, was this non-solicited or did they request information from you, I know often times in the past, when I have made non-solicited submissions, often times they ended up in the trash, most of the time if I am interested in showing in a gallery, I will make an appointment with the owner or represenitive and take a portfolio and sit down talk and find out if my work is within what they want to display, then thank them and keep in contact with them over a period of time.

Do you have any other places that you have displayed or sold, it is alway better if you have been displayed somewhere, than trying to get in cold.

Good Luck

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Galleries are more than tough. If you haven't yet, start by entering local group shows, to build your resume. Attend a LOT of gallery openings to get your face familiar, and try to talk to owners if you can even if it's just to say hi. Then go back in the middle of the week, if they're not so busy. Most are surprisingly approachable.
    Kathleen Ewing once told me that she doesn't show one in fifty photographers whose work she sees. And most of the portfolios don't get past her assistants. There's a lot of photographers out there. Good luck. Dean
    Last edited by dphphoto; 10-20-2005 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Large Format
    You do not have any pictures in your gallery, so it is hard to judge your talent. But, right off the bat I think your approach is somewhat unprofessional and not well thought out. Is your work that good that you expect galleries to trip over themselves to get you to exhibit with them?

What is your background? How many exhibitions have you had? How many museum shows have you had? What sets your photography apart from the million other photographers who are doing good work and like you are trying to break into the gallery market? Have you been published? if so, in what magazines? Are you doing a long term project? What is the intention of your photography? Most important, why should anybody buy your prints?

Answer all these questions, put in paper, contact the galleries and ask about their submission guidelines and follow them.

Frankly, and I am sorry to be so blunt, your question either shows incredible naivety or laziness.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As a starting point, I suggest you read the book Taking the Leap by Cay Lang.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Kerik,

will the book help my prints to look like yours?

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dave,

I thought we took care of that in Montana last summer. Don't forget:

1) Single Malt
    2) Everclear
    3) Moose Drool
    4) Repeat

Kerik
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Dave,

I thought we took care of that in Montana last summer. Don't forget:

1) Single Malt
    2) Everclear
    3) Moose Drool
    4) Repeat

Kerik
    Single malt? As in Laphroaig?
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're seeking gallery representation you need to do a little research first about the galleries that you are thinking about contacting. Many galleries have a specific point of view, some like very avante garde work, some like more traditional, some are more oriented towards landscape others towards documentary, etc. You want to contact a gallery that appreciates and exhibits your genre or style of work. You also need to see if the gallery already has another photographer whose work is very similar in style to yours, as many galleries do not want artists that are too similar.

After you've done your homework then you need to contact them and ask them what their policy is regarding viewing submissions.

Your use of the term "elitest" regarding galleries may indicate that you have a less than satisfactory opinion of galleries and their staff, you may be projecting this attitude towards them and they may pick up on this. It is not an elitest industry, it's more a meritocracy. If your work is outstanding some gallery will want it but understand that most galleries get hundreds if not thousands of submission requests every year. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    Single malt? As in Laphroaig?
    Yes, that's a good choice. Although my favorite is Lagavulin.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin