Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,036   Online: 909

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jimmy,

It's also possible to have a multizone DVD player, or even to overpass the zone protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    I am curious. There seems to be a preponderance of Brett Weston fans here at APUG. Besides the obvious (great photographer!) is there another reason for this like a bunch of his students are APUGers?

I can't speak for others, but for me Brett Weston is a source of continuous discovery. Compared to Edward's work, there are far fewer collections of Brett's photographs available at the moment (though Lodima will soon be changing that) and every time I encounter stuff I haven't seen, I'm immensely impressed and eager to see more. At the AIPAD show, both last year and the year before, I got to pick up and really examine some of his prints and they are simply stunning. So...I'll spring for the DVD and be thrilled when I get to see it.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

More photographer DVD's, videos

For Menacing Tourist:

"Paul Strand: Under the Darkcloth" DVD and video
    "W. Eugene Smith: Photography Made Difficult" DVD and video
    "Walker Evans' America" apparently video only
    "David Plowden: Light and Shadow" DVD and video
    "American Masters: Ansel Adams" DVD
    "Remembering Edward Weston" video, don't know if it's available on DVD
    (Brief footage of Cole, Brett and Charis Wilson)

"Brilliant Fever" video made in Pittsburgh by Kenneth Love about W. Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh project.

"The Adventure of Photography" - 2 DVD set, I believe originally done on French TV. Lots of historical nuggets, and some errors.

"90 degrees South" - DVD made of Herbert Ponting's presentation of his still and moving (!) pictures from the 1911 Scott expedition to Antartica.

"Dorothea Lange: A Visual Life" - apparently video only

....and I'm sure there are plenty of others. Of these, my favorites are "A Visual Life" and "Photography Made Difficult"....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Isnt there a Brett Weston Collection in Okc, Oklahoma?

I had a friend that used to work there and I think MAS might know about it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you're right Lee. On the brettwestonphotographer.com website, where you can order the DVD, they mention that the 892 digitized images are "used with permission of The Brett Weston Archive in Oklahoma City".

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    here is the URL for the Brett Weston site Matt, http://www.brettwestonarchive.com/

lee\c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Brett's archives were purchased from his daughter by a foundation. They oversee licensing or use of his images, donate his work to museums, help writers or institutions that are researching Brett's work, etc... That's the Brett Weston Archive referred to in the previous post. The DVD in question is simply awesome - the best portrait done of a working photographer that I've ever seen.

Don't know why so many BW fans are on APUG - never noticed, actually. However, he has certainly been the biggest influence on my own work. Unfortunately, too many people seem to dismiss him as only Edward's son when he was really his contemporary and a strong influence on his father (as EW says himself in the Daybooks). IMO not enough has been written about Brett. He wrote so very little about himself, preferring to let his photographs speak for themsleves. Somebody was working on a BW biography which I'd love to see published someday.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    I am curious. There seems to be a preponderance of Brett Weston fans here at APUG. Besides the obvious (great photographer!) is there another reason for this like a bunch of his students are APUGers?

Laz,

For me, its his extraordinary continuum of work. One of the things that he talks about in the DVD is that he was shooting the same sort of things then 1970-71 as he was when he first started, but that his "Vision" had changed. He turned 60 in 1971 and started shooting in 1925. When you look at his work, this is relatively easy to see, from Mexican roof tops, to the wing of a Ford Trimotor, to the drive wheels of a locomotive, the abstract nature of the subjects is there as much as cracked plaster or burnt tile or seaweed.

He went through his periods of normal and high contrast based on his Vision. I'm sure that there are other more subtle changes as well.

For me the best part of the DVD was watching Weston work. The darkroom scenes, the mounting methods, the spotting of negatives and prints, there are details in there that are valuable. I was also interested in the simplicity of his methods. I believe that he talks about keeping them simple at some point in the DVD.

Mike Davis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn
    For Menacing Tourist:

"Paul Strand: Under the Darkcloth" DVD and video
    "W. Eugene Smith: Photography Made Difficult" DVD and video
    "Walker Evans' America" apparently video only
    "David Plowden: Light and Shadow" DVD and video
    "American Masters: Ansel Adams" DVD
    "Remembering Edward Weston" video, don't know if it's available on DVD
    (Brief footage of Cole, Brett and Charis Wilson)

"Brilliant Fever" video made in Pittsburgh by Kenneth Love about W. Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh project.

"The Adventure of Photography" - 2 DVD set, I believe originally done on French TV. Lots of historical nuggets, and some errors.

"90 degrees South" - DVD made of Herbert Ponting's presentation of his still and moving (!) pictures from the 1911 Scott expedition to Antartica.

"Dorothea Lange: A Visual Life" - apparently video only

....and I'm sure there are plenty of others. Of these, my favorites are "A Visual Life" and "Photography Made Difficult"....
    Thanks Bill!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG is an expensive but rewarding place to spend time at. $30 less in my wallet (thanks Paypal).
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin