Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,716   Online: 868

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn
    For Menacing Tourist:

"Paul Strand: Under the Darkcloth" DVD and video
    "W. Eugene Smith: Photography Made Difficult" DVD and video
    "Walker Evans' America" apparently video only
    "David Plowden: Light and Shadow" DVD and video
    "American Masters: Ansel Adams" DVD
    "Remembering Edward Weston" video, don't know if it's available on DVD
    (Brief footage of Cole, Brett and Charis Wilson)

"Brilliant Fever" video made in Pittsburgh by Kenneth Love about W. Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh project.

"The Adventure of Photography" - 2 DVD set, I believe originally done on French TV. Lots of historical nuggets, and some errors.

"90 degrees South" - DVD made of Herbert Ponting's presentation of his still and moving (!) pictures from the 1911 Scott expedition to Antartica.

"Dorothea Lange: A Visual Life" - apparently video only

....and I'm sure there are plenty of others. Of these, my favorites are "A Visual Life" and "Photography Made Difficult"....
    ...and Stieglitz at PBS
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Isnt there a Brett Weston Collection in Okc, Oklahoma?

I had a friend that used to work there and I think MAS might know about it.

lee\c
    I was in Oklahoma for two weeks on business. Just got off the plane. I was pretty much trapped at a training session for the USPS. No time for cameras or visiting museums. Maybe next time I will be able to see it. Thanks for the information.

--John

Shooter
    Large Format
    The wealth of images on the DVD alone is worth the price. The video portion I wish had less just driving around; but maybe that was intended in order to show his methods of subject matter selection. Another good video is that of his father filmed by Willard Van Dyke in 1948 for USIA.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm have to disagree to the last comment. I found Van Dykes "The Photographer" to be very disappointing, especially since I paid $100 for it from the NTIS NAC before someone started selling home copies of it for $20. Edward doesnt even utter a word, its more of a cold war propaganda film than an Edward Weston film. IMHO, of course. Even at $20 I would have been disapointed. I would recommend "remembering Edward Weston" over that one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    SOLD! Thanks for the info!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My copy arrived, and it's a neat thing. Brett Weston is a little mumbly, and the sound is a little distorted, so it helps to listen on headphones rather than with the typical TV speaker, but it's great to watch him at work, particularly in the few darkroom snippets, and it's worth it for the images.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    My copy arrived, and it's a neat thing. Brett Weston is a little mumbly, and the sound is a little distorted, so it helps to listen on headphones rather than with the typical TV speaker, but it's great to watch him at work, particularly in the few darkroom snippets, and it's worth it for the images.
    I was amazed to note that Brett has a slight NEW ENGLAND accent.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Black finger-nail polish?

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeyersphoto
    I recently came across a DVD about Brett Weston that Art Wright did. It is great. It shows him out photographing in the field, working in the darkroom etc... It also includes some 800 photographs from the Brett Weston archives at the end of the DVD. For any Brett Weston fan, this is a must have.

http://www.brettwestonphotographer.com/
    I played the clip from the DVD and I swear Weston's finger nails were BLACK! Here in Hollywood, we see a lot of that nowadays but I can't imagine a man wearing finger nail polish way back when that DVD footage was shot. Are my eyes deceiving me or is this a Halloween trick?
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's the Amidol stains. I thought the same thing years ago when I saw Ansel Adams' portrait of Edward Weston for the first time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    I played the clip from the DVD and I swear Weston's finger nails were BLACK! Here in Hollywood, we see a lot of that nowadays but I can't imagine a man wearing finger nail polish way back when that DVD footage was shot. Are my eyes deceiving me or is this a Halloween trick?
    You'll notice that it's only the nails on ONE hand. Stained from having his hand in a tray of developer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin