Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,520   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most I spent on a photograph was $1000. It was a Rolfe Horn. Dusk, Izumo Japan. I knew I was "closing" out that price range, (an immediate profit I rationalized to myself) and it now goes for $4000. I bought it because I loved it (and at the time had the money). I have also bought some photos here on APUG. I have a couple of Alex Hawley's prints, and I contacted and bought one from Andre Avillez even though he wasn't openly trying to sell it. I have also found some masterpieces in the group print exchanges. I recommend that everyone join those. another apuger here that I own a few prints is Bill Schwab, they are wonderful and I only wish I had more of them.
    Everything that I have read about collecting says that you should love what you buy. I love everything that I have bought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbryant
    Everything that I have read about collecting says that you should love what you buy. I love everything that I have bought.
    Exactly!! Unless you collect with the intention to resell it for a profit, you will live with the print for a very long time. Buy something that means something to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    Exactly!! Unless you collect with the intention to resell it for a profit, you will live with the print for a very long time. Buy something that means something to you.
    Wow, I didn't realize until just now that the person replying to my post was one of those people that I would love to be able to collect...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbryant
    Wow, I didn't realize until just now that the person replying to my post was one of those people that I would love to be able to collect...

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I'd be honored to have work of mine in your collection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great thread.
    I have a small Henry Gilpin, an Ansel "Oak Tree in Snow", and a few of other relatively unknown CA Coast photogs. Each one was a "love at first sight" thing. None are worth much in dollars, but by now all have lots of good memories. I now wish I'd gone out on a limb and bought some of the prints I loved 20 years ago, as they would be worth quite a bit now. So maybe some of the work we see in our compadres here will increase in value over the years.
    Robert Hunt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've bought a few. A Cole Weston print for $600 (actually my wife made this purchase while visiting him) Also bought a Howard Bond print 15 years ago for $300. I've collected prints for a while mostly paying under $200 and in trade.

Some day I would love to have the ability like Elton John to buy whatever print I want for any amount of money. A man can dream can't he

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    Some day I would love to have the ability like Elton John to buy whatever print I want for any amount of money. A man can dream can't he
    Allow me to help you realize your dream... you can probably pick up ANY of my prints for ANY amount of money. Congratulations Elton!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Images
    I've paid $1500 for one of Clyde Butcher's 1995 Limited Edition Collection. It is #1 of 3 with the other two copies owned by Clyde and Brevard County Museum. I'm hoping it's a good investment.

I just sold my copy of Tom Mangelsen's 'Polar Dance' for $1600. I advertised it here on APUG and did not get a single inquiry or comment. Put it on Ebay with a Buy It Now only and it sold in 2 days. Paid $289 for it in 1990.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I collect many things I've never purchased any photographs other then old prints by unknowns here and there. The main reason is price, so much of the "market" is wildly over priced, at least for folk of my meager means who have champagne taste and a jug wine wallet

That is why I am looking forward to the APUG gallery. It has every chance of becoming a place to buy wonderful work from people I've gotten to know, at prices I can afford.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    While I collect many things I've never purchased any photographs other then old prints by unknowns here and there. The main reason is price, so much of the "market" is wildly over priced, at least for folk of my meager means who have champagne taste and a jug wine wallet

That is why I am looking forward to the APUG gallery. It has every chance of becoming a place to buy wonderful work from people I've gotten to know, at prices I can afford.

-Bob
    Every print I have received in print exchanges here is now, or will be very soon, in a frame and hanging on my walls - and that includes contact prints from 4X5 negatives. I've bought a lot of prints from photographers, not for investment value, but because I like the work. Most of these photographers are "unknown", but that doesn't make their work less worthy of wall space...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin