Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,759   Online: 854

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

David Plowden anyone?

Happy!

We just discovered David Plowden through Gorden Coale's great weblog. Now here's an American photographer we can relate to. Nice clean images, great compositions, especially when he's not doing portraits. Here's the link:
    http://www.davidplowden.com

Anyone share our enthusiasm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was familiar with his work thanks to the Schenectady County Public Library - they have his book on Industrial America in their collection. But I was pleased to see that there is more to his vision.

I was also pleased to see that his vision does not extend to the roots and rocks, Wagnerian mountainscapes, or slot canyons favored by most landscape photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Happy!

We just discovered David Plowden through Gorden Coale's great weblog. Now here's an American photographer we can relate to. Nice clean images, great compositions, especially when he's not doing portraits. Here's the link:
    http://www.davidplowden.com

Anyone share our enthusiasm?
    ME-ME-ME-ME-ME! Thanks for the link Norm. And I'm very glad to see passionate interest in Plawden's work outside of the USA.

Plowden is one I can really identify with having grown up and currently living in the rural USA he so eloquently photographs. Several of those places in Kansas are within an hour's drive.

Whenever I see Plowden's work, I kick myself in the rear for not having started seriously photographing when I was much younger, in the late 60s early 70s. Much of magic, I will say character, of rural USA that he presents has vanished and will never be regained. I'm truly sorry that I missed a lot of it photographically. Much of my photographic agenda is the same as Plowden's but it has gotten difficult to find the subject matter.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    Wagnerian mountainscapes...
    Wagnerian mountainscapes? In the US? Is that politically correct? I'd never guessed. Here in Europe the name Wagner immediately rings a series of bells with laden names on them. Something which herr W. himself can't help.

All joking aside, I'm glad to see more people share our preference.

Images
    Plowden is certainly one of my favorites. Fortunately, his work is well suited to presentation in book form, and he has published several. I particularly enjoy "IMPRINTS," which has a wonderful selection of his images. Unfortunately, it doesn't include my personal favorite: The little girl on a mini-bike.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had not heard of him before, but his work is quite enjoyable. Reminds me of what the US used to be like - back when times were simpler.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very interesting work. Last I knew he lives about a mile from me, though I've never met him. He had been invited to talk at a group I belonged to for many years but he was unable to make it because of last minute "stuff", unfortunately. Several years ago I recorded a biographical film about him narrated by Bill Curtis off one of our local public television networks. It's called David Plowden Light,Shadow,Form...I don't know if the film is available but if your interested in him, you would find it very interesting. He's well published.

Doesn't float my boat.

I like a little more contrast and drama in photographs.

Too much gray for my taste.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky

Too much gray for my taste.

Michael
    Phew, I'm glad it's only too much gray for Mr. Blansky. Could have been worse, could have been 'too liberal' - and that would have been worse

Michael, this shows again how completely contrary in nature we are - but it doesn't bother me in the least.

Too much liberal use of gray.

I wonder if he knows that you can buy contrast filters for his enlarger.
    Just kidding.

You people are sooooo serious.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin