Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,930   Online: 875

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frederick Sommer's amputated foot photo for certain. The nun who wrote into Aperture certainly helped generate some sales for them... I find the dead coyote pictures and the chicken pictures unsettling as well.

David what's his name - English (or French?) guy who does portraits of (very) young women nude. But there is nothing unsettling about the pictures other than the age of his models from what I have seen of them.

Those creepy shots of children in costumes by Anne Geddes are stomach turning. And the guy who shoots the Weimaraners.. Absolutely frightening...

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    8x10 Format

one we forgot

Great, great suggestions but we all forgot, including me, Larry Clarke

Jack

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    Frederick Sommer's amputated foot photo for certain. The nun who wrote into Aperture certainly helped generate some sales for them... I find the dead coyote pictures and the chicken pictures unsettling as well.

David what's his name - English (or French?) guy who does portraits of (very) young women nude. But there is nothing unsettling about the pictures other than the age of his models from what I have seen of them.

Those creepy shots of children in costumes by Anne Geddes are stomach turning. And the guy who shoots the Weimaraners.. Absolutely frightening...

Best,

Will
    Will,
    I always thought the weimereimers were funny
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit hung up on bodies so far...

Anne Geddes as a nice exemplar of the difference between art and illustration. When you think about how often photographers are advised to invent their own distinctive visual language, and to market themselves well, it's amazing how much scorn gets heaped on her head.

James Nachtwey for making beauty from others' pain.

The (mostly) anonymous photographers in the Without Sanctuary project for, well, all kinds of reasons.

Martin Parr: laughing at versus laughing with.

Wegman: birch or cat 'o' nine tails.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Larry Clarke. Yeah, man. I found a copy of Tulsa in a used book store for $12. It is the absolute best "anti-drug" education one could possibly find.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka
    Larry Clarke. Yeah, man. I found a copy of Tulsa in a used book store for $12. It is the absolute best "anti-drug" education one could possibly find.
    Joe,
    I'll give $12.50 for that book.
    Jack

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    ..,And the guy who shoots the Weimaraners.. Absolutely frightening...
    William Wagman (sic)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote for Sally Mann's Immediate Family work. Also Joel Peter Witkin.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    David Hamilton and Sally Mann for young nudes. But in the current witch-hunt atmosphere I wouldn't be caught dead in possesion of this stuff, doubly so if I were a teacher.

Mel Killpatrick for his 50's car crash shots (discovered posthumously in the 90's).

Diane Arbus for the mental patients (more posthumousity).

EJ Bellocq for the Storyville prostitute photos (photos that he mostly loathed and destroyed later in his life) Three in a row for posthumous publication--his 89 remaining plates were discovered, publicized and published by Lee Friedlander over 50 years after they were taken.

Alexander Gardner for the moving-the-dead-soldier-at-Gettysburg incident.

I might vote against Nan Goldin--seems to me the only controversy there is insipidity vs. art. But if you will admit this sort of controversy Friedlander, Winogrand and Eggleston are probably candidates too, although I personally like all three far, far better than Goldin.

David Armstrong and Uta Barth for veering outside the constraints of focus.

Leni Riefenstahl and Tina Modotti, although both were controversial mostly for their politics rather than their photography.

Jacob Riis for his expose of turn-of-the-century poverty and squalor.

Tom Forsythe for the Barbie photos that got Mattel cranky enough to engage in protracted hopeless litigation just to hurt him, to cost him a great deal of time and money merely to warn others that Mattel was not to be messed with.

William Mortensen for the way he (and other pictorialists) were savagely attacked by Ansel Adams and other our-way-is-the-only-way f64 adherents.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why limit yourself to what museums find fit to hang omn their walls?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin