Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,583   Online: 823

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Night photography in previous times

Can anyone give me some pointers to the earliest examples of night cityscape photography?

I am quite clear that modern night shots are very much a result of electric lighting, but I also know that before Edison, cities were lit at night with gas lanterns. Surely photographs of those times must exist? But I'm not aware of them. But I'm not just looking for shots of gas-lit cities, but the entire history of night photography.

Any hints?

Thanks, anthony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anthony,

Have you tried The Nocturnes site? Lots of great references to things shot at night. They have a forum there that may help you.

www.thenocturnes.com

Bill
    Last edited by billschwab; 12-05-2005 at 05:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Brassai night images of Paris are a wonderful example

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Brassai night images of Paris are a wonderful example
    Bob, thanks very much for the hint. I wasn't familiar with Brassaï, but now I've just ordered the book "Paris at Night" online!

anthony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Allegedly, Brassai would time his exposures by how long it took to smoke a cigarette. He's the earliest I know of for nighttime, and a some of his exposures were done by gaslight. A book on him called "Brassai and the Secret Paris" or something similar has a lamplighter at night as the final photograph. Good luck!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Anthony Your Welcome

Brassai is one of my favorite photographers, Friends and I decided he was in the top 10 of all time.(what do we know).
    His photographs in the nightclubs are as amazing as his outdoor street scenes , I think you will be very happy with the book and others of his.
    Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin