Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,733   Online: 811

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got to see a Walker Evans exhibit at the Houston Museum of Fine Art several years ago. They had a lot of images. The images were very well seen the presentation was very poor. Walker was not a very accomplished printer in my way of thinking. Sorta Photo 102. But it was nice to see the images.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmm...probably one of my (many) favorites of his is "The Breakfast Room, Belle Grove Plantation". Just something about the south, plantation homes and a simple, southern girls heart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Struan,
    Don't mean to 'nit-pick', but the image you reference in your post was not by Walker Evans, rather Dorthea Lange. You can see that image here:

Damaged by Dorthea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    ...with a large cross in the foreground, row houses in the mid ground, and steel mills in the distance.
    If you are ever in Bethlehem, PA., go to the spot where Walker made this shot. It is very easy to find and was somewhat of a religious experience for me! You park on a little side street, walk about 10 paces up the hill into the cemetery, look left and there it is. I probably parked in the same spot as he did. Hardly a thing has changed aside from the demolition of most of the blast furnaces in the background. It reminds me of that Weston quote, "If it is more than 500 feet from the car, there's not a picture."

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Walker was not a very accomplished printer in my way of thinking.
    This is unfortunately true, but some of his vintage prints shine as well. I don't believe he was a very patient man in the darkroom, but passionate about shooting. A friend has several of his vintage prints and a couple are downright atrocious. Uneven fading and blotchiness I would equate with poor fixation and/or washing. Such a shame.

I still love the guy though!

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stand corrected (thank you, Annie). Didn't realize that Walker had a 'Damaged' too. Learn something new everyday.

http://www.yanceyrichardsongallery.c...=5&work_id=605

Sorry 'bout that Struan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No worries. I didn't know the Lange 'Damaged', so thanks for that.

As it happens, my second choice turned out to be by Strand when I looked it up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy Blum Cooper
    I stand corrected (thank you, Annie). Didn't realize that Walker had a 'Damaged' too. Learn something new everyday.

http://www.yanceyrichardsongallery.c...=5&work_id=605

Sorry 'bout that Struan.
    I think that Lang titled her image "Damaged Child."

Struan, what was your second Walker Evans choice (by Paul Strand)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Evans is one of my favorites, but if I could own 1 image, it would have to be the Saratoga street scene done out his hotel window in the rain.
    I'll second that. I don't know why, but the first time I saw that print (at an exhibition in San Francisco years ago), I was mezmerized.

The composition is so darned simple. Maybe that's the secret of its charm?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos
    I'll second that. I don't know why, but the first time I saw that print (at an exhibition in San Francisco years ago), I was mezmerized.

The composition is so darned simple. Maybe that's the secret of its charm?
    Interesting story about that particular image. It was taken from Evans hotel room balcony. He was in Saratoga with Lincoln Kirsten who spotted the image and made Evans get out of bed, set up his camera, and take the picture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin